• other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Maybe check into an underground tank of water. Pump the water through a fan coil and send it back to the tank. You could install a small chiller to keep the water temp down but it might not be necessary if the ground temp doesn't get too high.

There is a building here in Denver, over 400, 000 sq. ft and they keep it cool with a 60 ton chiller using the buried water tank idea. Only problem was the tank caved in when a flatbed semi carrying sod backed over it. Major fubar. :(

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan as a teenager I had to work on my car under the pine tree's, I remember once on a fairly cool day while replacing the clutch in my GTO it started raining. From that day I was determined to have some where inside to do repairs. I've told my son many times how I would've enjoyed a shop like I have now back then. I guess I'm spoiled or just old but lying on the ground now stinks.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thats interesting Tom. The U.S. Navy does some thing similar on many ships. It was explained to me that the absence of heat was cool. More of a heat exchanger then an air conditioner. I had considered it as the shed will be built about 40 feet from a small lake/large pond. Filled and fraught with killer ducks and man eating swan. (oh ya, pretty until they are biting and nipping at your butt chasing you off a paint float! Sorry, hate ducks and swans, lol)

But my thinking is it would take a lot to pump it up threw a series of copper tube.

Not that I don't want to try it, I really do. A whole lot of this whole project is having the space to try crazy stuff.

Since the "flip a switch for instant cool/heat/light" came about, think we gave up on subtler ways of achieving comfort. How many people have ceiling fans going the wrong way for the season or open the bottom of a window when it is hot? That last one cracks me up. "Hot in here. Better let the cooler air out" (trapping the warmer air up top)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan as a teenager I had to work on my car under the pine tree's, I remember once on a fairly cool day while replacing the clutch in my GTO it started raining. From that day I was determined to have some where inside to do repairs. I've told my son many times how I would've enjoyed a shop like I have now back then. I guess I'm spoiled or just old but lying on the ground now stinks.
Your right Greg! Forget that shade tree stuff/mechanic. Aside from the bugs, the sun/rain, ya never find a dropped washer or tiny little dropped part. People can hear ya cursing, and if you relive your self, the neighbors point and laugh.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The permit folks and a librarian (same building/town hall) thought the "worlds biggest bird house" was funny and are gonna see if I can do it. 2 votes for a giant parrett, one for an endangered bird and all hearty "NO!"s at the griffin. Made me giggle. George Thoroughgood; "Every body crazy, now you crazy too"

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Dan up in this part of the country some folks bury pvc pipe about 6 to 8 feet under ground on both sides of the house. They have a big coil under the house. They circulate a water/glycol mix through the system. In the winter they run one direction and in the summer they run the other direction. Theory being it stores the heat and cool in the ground. The really wealthy drill a water well and circulate the solution through the water at the bottom of the well. The water well method is suppose to be much more efficient but you have to drill about 400' to hit water around here..........

Oh and I think the bird inside needs to be Big Bird..........(0>
|
><

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Big Bird with huge canine fang like teeth and solar powered gnashing mouth and flapping wings to keep the killer ducks and man eating swan at bay!

Just typed 3 paragraphs and hit post just as I lost internet. erghhhh

Left material list with Home depot & Lowe's for a price so will report. Is expensive, well more so then other parts of the U.S. here in CT.

11 bundles of shingles, $35 x 11= $385 +6% tax

Fasteners & hinges $205

Permit application $25

So, so far and as of today, around $630

I was thinking I hosed my self by not just getting the kit but shingles, paint and hardware was not included. So still close.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, no Greg...... waiting to get the reference.

Was expecting a Red Green joke, comparison. Has to be the funniest thing to come out of Canada. http://www.redgreen.com/

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." ...

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan you want believe this but I have a boat just like the one on the car uh truck! Its a blue star, its a 1960. I gave mine to my son about five years ago but its still here, he's been married for two years.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Big Bird with huge canine fang liketeeth and solar powered gnashing mouth and flapping wings to keep the killer ducks and man eating swan at bay!

Sounds like Sheldon to me.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan you want believe this but I have a boat just like the one on the car uh truck! Its a blue star, its a 1960. I gave mine to my son about five years ago but its still here, he's been married for two years.

Cool! Any pics?

..and who is Sheldon?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan I'll have to look for pics, I've had the boat since 1980 so we have to have photos of some kind. Sheldon is a character on the Tv show "Big bang theory ".

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is cool! Internet thing. Home depot also has 10% coupons on line. Both are moving, get your business discounts. Lowes, I got at the post office in a change of address kit and HD one one line and same thing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LoL Ron. Where the olga have you been?

How is the home for battered fish going? I am gonna write a fed grant aplication on your and those poor fish,s behalf.....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just saw it now. I was on a cell phone earlier and thought it was on my end.

Wow Ron, lookin' sharp. Like the prow. Got that P41 thing going.