hot engine/poor running

GoldenMotor.com

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
im running starfiret40 with sbp pipe and : GT50R RACING CARB KIT. and jackshaft, but since day one ive had nothing but troubles.

seemed to be running slow when getting hot and also blowing the head, gasket seemed fine .?

but was loosing head bolts, not like loose loose, but had to keep turning them down, i was just wondering is it getting too hot and causing the head to blow because the mixture could be wrong, because when its cold for the first 5min it runs great and then as it gets hotter it loses power, struggles real bad.

was thinking of putting standered pipe and carb back on..???

any insight to this anyone..???

ive since flattened the head and barrel new studs and nuts, not acorn nuts as was before, new gaskets top and bottom.

thanks....

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Which do you think happen first? overheating or the head getting blown off? I suspect the head gets blown off first and causes the engine to overheat. If it overheat first before the head gets blown off, then try checking your oil mixture. Also, the engine may not yet completed the break-in.

Cheers... :D Enjoy the fix...

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
Which do you think happen first? overheating or the head getting blown off? I suspect the head gets blown off first and causes the engine to overheat. If it overheat first before the head gets blown off, then try checking your oil mixture. Also, the engine may not yet completed the break-in.

Cheers... :D Enjoy the fix...
Very good point, I made the mistaken assumption that the engine was broken in. And you're right, he may be running the engine lean, or geared wrongly, thus putting too much load on the engine. That would overheat it quickly also.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
oh yes sorry engine is new, i have the right mixture of oil, i check the plug this morning and its very light, maybe i should change the jet, as for the gearing im not sure as its running of the jackshaft which then runs the 7 gears on the rear of the wheel.

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
i sent the engine back after flatting the head and barrel replacing studs and new nuts gaskets ect it was still the same, it drove me nuts in the end. so replaced it with a cheap china what i had in my old bike, to which i have never had any problems with from day one. i got the gt40 thing it would be a better engine and maybe run for longer but as i had experienced for myself there not so better then the china,ive had three chinas and all been ok. the only thing different form the t40 and the china was the price.

so in future i think ill stick with what i know best and leave the trouble behind me.

here is a link i found about slant heads...

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/straight-plug-engines-better-than-angle-31227.html