motorbicycling.com land speed record

GoldenMotor.com

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I think it would be intresting to have a realistic consumer limit, Like, Under $1000 'stock' Frame being used.

Its one thing to set a speed record on a $20,000 custom mean machine, Its another to set one on something cobbled togethor on $1000~$2000 of stock parts.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I think it would be intresting to have a realistic consumer limit, Like, Under $1000 'stock' Frame being used.QUOTE]

I can always raise the price of my "stock" frame to meet this requirement. In all serious, though, safety is the key. Tires will be a real issue here. I have found some good ones but nothing with any real speed rating. If over 60 mph requires speed rated tires this may be an issue. I would imagine that a properly tuned Morini with tall gears and Bairdco hanging on to the handlebars will reach 60 mph on the salt. Watchout world, here comes the "Bairdco Special"!

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
I think, you should do it like these guys, and not with a rocket on wheels....laff

recordbikes

Mr.Dotterweich do it first on 4.12.1951 with a speed of 79 km/h ( 49 mph ).
The engine was a Victoria FM38. It has 2.15 hp at 7600 upm.
Awesome idea to do it again, stay tuned !

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i've got a PM out to paul asking if it's alright to use the forum name and organize the effort here.
as for the bike i'm thinking we should utilize the bicycle aspect along with the motor, like starting with a 21 speed bike, that way we can pedal the bike up to speed which will allow for the motor side of things to run a much higher gear ratio. might be able to pull a 25 thooth sprocket if the motor dosen't have to work to hard untill were up to around 20 mph. we may need a rider with legs rather than light weight.
we have some internet search monsters here, lets see what everyone can come up with as to the ruels and class aspects.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get a charity involved and get a commercial bicycle racer on it. Lance Arm Strong has to have another go in him lol.

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I'll be there for speed week in August. Planning to run my custom blue bike just for grins. But I'll be using a stock Eh035. I'd be willing to build a custom frame around some hotted up parts, though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
If the idea is to stay at 50cc then look for the highest HP 50cc motor you can find. Peddling up to speed before engaging the motor is a good idea if going with high gears. The fairing is going to add a lot of weight but will probably be mandatory.

I think a good high quality set of tires will work but the tubes might be a weak link.

How is the search for regs coming along?

Terry

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You can build any kind of bike to race, but I would be a lot more interested in having the record holder of an unfaired 50 cc bike that looks like a common MB with a China Girl motor in it, as opposed to something like a streamliner with an exotic motor that few people have.

Worlds fastest beach cruiser has a lot of appeal lol. Maybe we should call Burt Munro

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
camlifter, you have a few miles to get it up to speed. the short course is 4-5 miles; how_it_works

so as long as the bike will run, even under pedal power, there's no reason to get there quickly.

no matter what gear your running, a china (or morini, or other) will get to the timed mile in less than 4 miles.

just ask the budfab crew:
YouTube - Bonneville Stories Part VII "BUDDFAB 50cc 150 MPH Streamliner"
my thoughts on pedaling up to 20mph or so was to help keep the motor in it's rev range with as high a gear ratio as it can pull and not burn up the clutch doing it. we'll probably need a box of spare clutch's anyway. some class's allow a push car to get them up to there first gear speed. we could do it with pedal power. a board track style bike with derailer and gears on the pedal side is something to think about.

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
How about to keep things simple rule-wise, we agree on:
  1. 50cc or less
  2. Upright position (no recumbents)
  3. No fairings

That would leave things open for a number of entrants both custom and kit-based. Having multiple bikes show up to compete would make it a lot more fun.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It seems to me if you're going for a record then go for the record with whatever is allowed in a cc class. You'd need to find that out first. Say it was 50cc, what's the point of racing an unmodified HT motor? Use what you want, innovate, modify to see what you can get out of 50 CCs. Any make and any modifications including something like foureasy's hybrid motors, Morini... whatever will give the greatest speed.
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i dunno, camlifter, i don't see a problem with clutches burning up, or really anything for that matter.

i mean, it'd be smart to bring along spare parts, especially chains, tubes and tires, and a whole 'nother complete motor, just in case, but my experience with my bikes shows i'm not gonna burn out a clutch in one day of racing.

i run my bikes full throttle all day long, flat out downhills, uphills, and in some areas where there's not a stop sign for miles.

i don't think any parts would "wear out." if something was gonna break, most likely it'd be a defective part or a flat tire.

i want to bring the bike i'm building now down there, and by then it'll probably have a thousand miles or more on it. i think once the bike's built, it should be broken in, and ridden hard before it hits the salt, just to work out all the kinks.

depending on the rules, i might hop-up a 50cc china motor, but i figure if i can't set an official record with either motor, i'll stick with the 66 for more speed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That would really be a sight seeing the worlds fastest China Girl screaming through the traps at 47.898 mph

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
What would be great is to find one of the early Honda 50cc race engines, 20 speed tranny and would do 115 to 120 mph with a small rider, our club used to put on motorcycle races, Honda would put the 50cc in the 250 class and their 150 in the open class, 500cc to 750cc and run away from everybody, the 50 had a power band about as long as you little finger nail.