walmart schwinn cheap

GoldenMotor.com

macattie88

Dec 2, 2009
columbia sc
come on guys.....you have internet sites selling go fast motors and performance gear to anyone who clicks the buy it now button!
good point....i built my first bike ..a delmar,and im building a second without worry....how many members have actually had a wheel failure?im interested to know.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I lost count on my wally world point beach after 3,500 miles and she is on her fourth engine. I would be shocked if it was below 4K but couldn't prove it. The fenders of course would have failed with out shoring up and the book rack was rattling off.

Just replaced the rear brakes and both rims/wheels. (Front wheel with drum brake/wheel from Worksman) They blew out side ways. (both) But this is after thousands of miles and am testing a prototype engine that I am trying to beat to death to see what it can take. I am not offering an opinion but the 2 wally world bikes I have had held up amazingly well. I had meant to replace the cheap, plastic wheels from the day I purchased them, lol. Both were so out of true at the end, they were hitting the brakes on both sides at different times. (I was gonna get to it! ((some day)) She had the heart break of seriosus and the dreaded "Wibble-wobble"

Both rims blew out at the seams slowly and I had plenty of advance notice. I am using them to learn how to lace wheels. The bearings were fine and would put them on other wheels.

Just my experience with em. Aside from fenders, I would feel fine after selling Walmart MB. As long as I either assembled it or stripped it down and reassembled. This particular PB came assembled and only one brake was right out of 4 and not every thing was tightened down well.

Given the opportunity, I rather build (for sale) with a tag sale, thrift store old steel American or European bicycle. Can find some great engine candidates for very lil cash with lil more need then some maintenance. But have no problem with the wally world bikes.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have a Scwhinn del mar:

Tab on front fender broke. (Replaced with plastic fender)
Rear wheel bearing went. (replaced bearings)
Coasterbrake hub on rear wheel broke. (replaced with freewheel and added front sidepull brakes)
Flat tire on rear twice. (replaced tires)

Added suport bracket for tensioner.

Atleast do so of these things before building and selling a bike to someone.
Don't just slap a motor on a bike and sell it.

Last edited:

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
Well the biggest problem with cheap mass produced bicycles as i see it is, that they very often are assembled by staff at the store with very little experience of it.
The frames and components might be on the cheap side but set up right they make for ok bikes..
A good idea is to check the spoke tension, they usally come with a bit of flex,and wheel bearings for any slopp..

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I've got a Schwinn Riverside which I guess would be considered a cheap bike since I did get it at K-Mart too. About 350 miles on it. Had to replace the rear wheel once but that was because my chain snapped and had ripped out a few spokes. I noticed while swapping out the wheel though that the entire rear axle was bent. POS if you ask me.

Anyways, I put on some identical wheels for now until I gather up the dough to build some heavy duty wheels and get some nice tires and tubes to go along with them.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i know of someone who got hurt pretty badly from his mb, rim failure on a dirt road. I know he will be alright but he did get hurt pretty badly. these bikes are not to be mocked and should be given the proper respect cause when they bite they bite hard.....duh.

skipsmith

Apr 14, 2010
simi valley ca
Just replace the cheep Walmart rims with some heavy duty rims and hubs from Pistonbikes.com....along with new front and rear breaks. Tossed the old rims in the trash along with the tires......upgraded those also.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I don't understand why some people are so defensive about these wheels. The ones from Walmart, K-mart, Target...etc are CHEAP. Whether you realize that now or later could mean the difference between having a great time on your bike or having a horrible time in the back of an ambulance.

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
Probably more than you paid for yours...

I have a better idea!!! You can go to the thrift store & buy the cheapest bike they have for only $15, & really make a lotta $$$!! (^)
thats the best thing you said so far!! just joking. i didnt mean to start a fight or get on anybodys bad side. i thought i was being helpful, but i guess not. no hard feelings venice.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Venice,

I whole heartly agree. What is a reasonable price for safety and pride in products sold to others? Certialny not the cheapest for a quick buck. This kind of rationale is all too prevelant in our market price.

Thanks for building imaginative, quality bikes made with pride.