Cosmetic Chain Rust

GoldenMotor.com

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
How can i get rid of the light rust build up on my chain that has accumilated over the winter. Any special tricks anyone has?

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
You can soak it in navel jelly,If you dont want to take the chain off ,spray it on,but keep it off your paint.wash with hose and spray with a good chain lube when it is dry.Do not use wd40 it will make road dirt stick to it. HARLEYS DAD

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ya i have no problem taking the chain off, so just soak it in navel jelly?

**Edit** do they sell it locally? auto parts stores or walmart?

Last edited:

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Ha i'v gotta get the bike perfect for summer lol. Luckly i'v got the extra if theres a nice day out (today) to ride around :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I use bacon grease. I know that sounds nutz but works awesome! Have to be sure to get salt free. It seeps in like crazy and will make an old chain look brand new. A lil dab will do ya and gets ya a guilt free breakfast. Works awesome on really old and rusted chains too. Ayup, what Jim and BB said, dab and ride. Rust be gone.

(If the chain is rusting, good time to repack the wheels with grease as well)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was told about this by a guy who races dirt bikes. I've tried it and it works great.
Scott's Liquid Gold, a wood cleaner and preserative sold everywhere, cleans and lubricates the chain. It has a solvent base for cleaning and a light oil ingrediant. It comes in either aerosol or pourable. You can spray it on or remove the chain and soak it in the Scott's product. Give it a try; your wife probably has a can with her cleaning supplies or Wally World, the supermarket, Ace Hardware, the stuff is easily available. One 14oz can will last you forever; well, at least through the riding season.
Tom

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Alright thanks, i went to walmart today and they didn't have any navel jelly i could find. So i'll just take a wire brush to it and put lube on it. Friend may need another link put on though and boy is that a PITA haha