Chain Breaker alternative

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
So here I am about to get my bike back on the road and the only thing holding me back is properly installing and tensioning my bike chain. There are park tools out there that would make such a feat but a trifle, but not when you dont have $40 to drop on one. are there any chain instilation suggestions for someone on a tight budget?

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Hugh Made says it clearly
...but a punch and hammer works fine. I never grind the end of a pin. If you do, it may not hold well if you try to reuse it....which often happens. To use a punch, just put the link up on an old small socket so the pins has somewhere to go, put the punch on the pin, and drive it out.

Spad here I grind to shorten a chain.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Definitely just don't even use the pulley. Just shorten the chain and pull the wheel back tight. Works perfect..

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Not if the chain makes it by the frame and you can slide your wheel backwards to adjust the chain. On some bikes the chain stay gets in the way and washers can be used on the rear axle to spread the frame apart a little.
I just use vice grips to press the pin until it is even with the link and go the punch route. Just put a nut under the pin to give the pin room to exit on the backside. Do not grind the pin, they look mushroomed but they are not. I also install the pin with vice grips.