Flower nut not tightening

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
my clutch's performance has been very poor lately (barely engaging) so I decided to adjust it. When I tried tightening the flower nut, it would just turn around and around, and wouldn't tighten completely. It was like I was trying to tighten it on a smooth pole. I gave up and tried to ride, and it was like there wasn't even a clutch there! Had to pedal home for 5 miles with 25 extra pounds :(

What needs to be replaced/repaired?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you're lucky, the threads of the flower nut are bad, if unlucky, the threads on the clutch actuator rod are bad

be sure to look carefully at the outside of the flower nut that goes thru the plate - I've seen that area get chewed up because the plate has lost its bulge at that spot and needed to be smacked there with a hammer to push it out a bit more to keep flower nut from bottoming

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
if you're lucky, the threads of the flower nut are bad, if unlucky, the threads on the clutch actuator rod are bad

be sure to look carefully at the outside of the flower nut that goes thru the plate - I've seen that area get chewed up because the plate has lost its bulge at that spot and needed to be smacked there with a hammer to push it out a bit more to keep flower nut from bottoming
I dont know if the threads are bad, because it still goes on as if the threads were working, just when it gets to the spot where it tightens the plate, it doesn't go further, and just freely turns.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Try this...

Just slip your clutch cable off the engager arm on the left, then on the right push the clutch plate in as as hard as you can before trying to turn the flower nut.
With any luck, pushing on the flower nut will get it past the stripped part and bite where you need it.
Don't forget the set screw for the flower nut once in!

Note your cable tension on the clutch cable plays a big part.
Too loose and it won't disengage.
Too tight and it won't fully engage.

The clutch lever itself has a adjustment and if need be you can move the brass calbe end.

You want 'just enough' tension on the cable for no drag from the lock position at idle.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I dont know if the threads are bad, because it still goes on as if the threads were working, just when it gets to the spot where it tightens the plate, it doesn't go further, and just freely turns.
yep, sounds like a flat plate - look at the flower nut to see if it is getting shiny at the end where the threads go on the rod (also check the shaft for wear where the rod sticks out) - if you see wear, then support the plate at three or more places around the rim, put about an 18mm or so socket in the middle of the plate & give it a good bash with a large hammer - that should fix it just fine

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
yep, sounds like a flat plate - look at the flower nut to see if it is getting shiny at the end where the threads go on the rod (also check the shaft for wear where the rod sticks out) - if you see wear, then support the plate at three or more places around the rim, put about an 18mm or so socket in the middle of the plate & give it a good bash with a large hammer - that should fix it just fine
am I bending the plate? I dont really understand...
The flower nut should be out when I hit it is that right?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, these plates have a bulge in the center, but sometimes not quite enough to keep the bottom of the flower nut from rubbing on the shaft

you only need a 1/16th inch or so more

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
used to see that a lot a year ago - was hoping all those plates were gone by now

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
If all else fails remove the flower nut and place it nipple up on your work bench. Find a socket size tight (not too tight but smaller than the nipple) and place on the nipple. Whack the socket with a hammer. Objective is to make your tapped nut tighter on the clutch shaft end. It has worked for me.