General maintenance?

GoldenMotor.com

scribling

Mar 31, 2014
Simi Valley
Is there any general maintenance to these engines? Like should I clean the carburetor after so many miles, air filter, anything? It seems there should be some. I check the nuts and bolts often but so far that's it.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Well with 4 strokes there's a recommended number of hours to change the oil and number of hours to clean the air filter. A tachometer/ hour counter can be very helpful for this. I usually steel brush the plug every time I do an oil change. I also like to flush the oil crank case with Sea Foam. When ever I clean the air filter I give the carb a spray with Gum Out. This has kept my Robin Subaru 35 running very smooth over the years.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
SeaFoam is good stuff for any fuel system maintenance.
Best stuff in the world for cleaning out old cruddy varnish from something that was left sitting.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Another thing I like to do is whenever the engine begins to bog down then its time to change the fuel filter. I like to give both chains a squirt of chain oil on days I plan to ride. For my auto shifter I give it a squirt of 10-30w motor oil on days I plan to ride. Lubrication is key to smoothly shifting gears especially when its being done automatically.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I change my wheel bearing grease with each change of season. I suppose I don't go quite that often on front wheels, crank bearings, etc. But a one-speed, coaster brake rear hub, motorized, wants clean grease often.

Here's something else I do. I don't know if the experts recommend it, but I like the results. I lube my chains with Armor-All. Chains stay much cleaner. They 'swivel' freely. They stay rust free.

For that matter, I use Armor-All as a general duty cleaner and preservative for my bike. I discovered pretty early that keeping it clean and good looking is pretty labor intensive. I lack the time for that. So I just spray everything down and let it sit for an hour or so before riding.

I aim for weekly, but I don't manage to keep that average up. If I did, though, I think that even my bottom bracket wouldn't be all gunked up with road grime.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I tie a ratchet strap tomy bikes ever so often and winch them off the floor/ground spin the wheels, check for wobble/ loose bearing tension and give all other mounting hardware a look over, brake pads and cables get a look also and if chain is in need of some attention it get a fresh coat of Maxima Chain wax and never a single drop of oil since I live down dusty dirt roads and oil and dirt are a bad combo for chains in my experience, I get the Maxima Chain wax that comes in a spray can from my local Yamaha dealership, best stuff I have ever used, it repels dirt and dust and gives a good lubrication coating inside oan out of the chain rollers.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...PLK+Feed_Street+Bike&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=10007

http://www.amazon.com/Maxima-74908-...d=1400877717&sr=8-5&keywords=maxima+chain+wax

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXIMA-CHAIN-WAX-5-5oz-Aerosol-Can-/261409046560?hash=item3cdd318020&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxima-Chai...Parts_Accessories&hash=item337b39502a&vxp=mtr

Several online sources for the stuff, it isnt messy once it sets up on the chain, doesn't sling off and get onto other parts of the bike and my chains last and stay in excellent shape using it ever in all the dirt and grime I ride in.

Map

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I used to use that stuff on my GSXR 750's chain back in the day and I really liked it because it sprays on and penetrates then it solidifies so it won't make a mess... Good Stuff