Gas and Oil Ratio Question and Disscussion

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is a lot of information available here about 2 cycle oil mix. You're going to get a lot of discussion regarding what is right and what is wrong.

It has been determined by many experienced builders that the kit recommendation of 16:1 is too much oil. We recommend starting at about 24:1 and moving down to 32:1 after a couple of gallons burned. This is a good, safe, ball park figure and you won't go wrong following it.

Try using the search feature and type in 'Oil Ratio" and you'll have an evening worth of reading to do on the subject.

Tom

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I put a dollop in the 2 liter tank when I put in gas- usually adding from about 1/4 full up to about 3/4 or slightly more gas in the tank- never fill it quite all the way- and have never really ran it out.

so I guess I'm actually putting about a liter in the tank most of the time-
about $.60 to $.85 worth if I'm at the pump-

a dollop is usually a couple of seconds from the oil bottle. If it seems like there's too much oil smell or coming out the exhaust, I do a little less then.

I'm very scientific!

Last edited:

Solmangrundy

Apr 15, 2014
Northeast Texas
im pretty much trying to get at, at what point does adding more/less oil help like are you getting more combustion out of a lean oil mix instead of going on the rich side.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've personally found the china girl only runs sour when the mix is too lean-

it's just messy and smelly and drips oil from the exhaust if it's too oily,

but too lean and it really doesn't seem to build up a steady fire somehow.

But I'm not that high performance oriented-
just the straight NT Speed card with a straight billet intake and standard kit exhaust-

the performance is pretty much the same most of the time then

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Less oil means more fuel which means engine runs rich.
Engine should be tuned to a certain oil mix.
I just swapped my Softail from 25 to 1 to 40 to 1 and now it 4 strokes and needs a re tune.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Less oil means more fuel which means engine runs rich.
Engine should be tuned to a certain oil mix.
I just swapped my Softail from 25 to 1 to 40 to 1 and now it 4 strokes and needs a re tune.
Ditto and is one reason guys, like me, who run our mix @ 100:1 need to go small on our main jets. Less oil to gasoline and you'll have to go leaner on the fuel to air mix.
It's a juggling act but it can be done with some experimentation.

As for lubrication, sufficient or lack of, you'll need to follow the recommendation of the oil manufacturer. There is no benefit to using more oil than they say to use. In other words if the oil maker says 32:1, then adding more oil is not really going to help. It might even cause problems like fouled spark plugs or clogged exhaust systems plus the mess associated with an oil rich mixture.

Tom