Fiberglass tank...

GoldenMotor.com

FatOldGuy

Apr 24, 2011
Arizona
Wickedcarts.net makes a faux gas tank from fiberglass. Is there any way to seal this so it could hold gas?
It is the best looking tank I have seen, I just wish it were real.
I am going to get the full wheel fenders!

Mark42

Jan 5, 2012
New Jersey
I have a bit of experience with fiberglass gas tanks on boats. If the tank is made from polyester resin, (aka common bondo or other brand maple syrup color resins), the alcohol in the gasoline will eventually cause the tank to fail.

New "fiberglass" gas tanks used for gas with up to 10% alcohol are made from epoxy resin. If the tank is epoxy resin (usually clear or slightly yellow) then it will hold up to the alcohol in gasoline.

There are practically no marine gas tanks made from fiberglass anymore. They are all rotomolded plastic, or welded aluminum plate. The only sure fire protection from leaching plastic resin into your carburetor, and destroying the tank with alcohol fuels.

My guess is it is a common polyester resin tank. Lining it with one of motorcycle products meant to seal rust inside of a rusty tank would probably make it safe for todays gasoline.

JMHO.

Mark

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I bought a Paughco Porkster tank off of eBay. The ad proudly said it had been treated with Kreem. When it arrived you could tell that after the Kreem was used the tank had never been opened. I wanted to feel the lineing so I stuck my finger inside and felt around...the Kreem was lifting off the steel in big patches. I contacted the seller, he wanted me to send the tank back for a refund. I said no, I wasn't going to pay $20 to get back $60 which would have ment I would be shelling out $40 to get back $40.

I put 20 feet of towchain into the tank and shook the tank for 10 minutes knocking off the loose Kreem. With the oil mix a tank wont rust anyway.

I just can't recommend Kreem after THAT experience :p

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
What if a tank had a thin inner aluminum liner surrounded then by the epoxy resin?- you'd still have the lightweight aspect and ease of molding different shapes, but the aluminum would actually keep the gas off the fiberglass.

FatOldGuy

Apr 24, 2011
Arizona
You know, come to think of it, before I went in the hospital (just spent 4 months with a failing liver before they found me one) I bought a video from some guy who shows how to make custom fiberglass tanks.
He uses that Caswell sealer. If you are tempted to find and buy the video, do not waste your money. Confusing, poorly made, hard to follow, what a waste of cash that was.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
What then about those plastic gas cans we all have for our lawn mower gas and in our car trunks? They used to always be tin, now they are usually plastic.

I've had some for quite some time and haven't noticed anything wrong with them, Are they clogging the lawn mower carbs of America?

I'd probably keep some gas in one now for the bike, but I've got a gas station a block away.

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hello out there,
I'm just starting out attempting to build a glass tank and found that fiberglass insulation boards from a hardware store are a b*tch to cut. I built an electric cutter yesterday and finished it up late in the evening. Looks great BUT dosen't work. Trouble shooting tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: