substitue for g clips?

GoldenMotor.com

daninthesand

Jun 8, 2009
Winnipeg
Problem. G clips for 50 cc piston wrist pin went down sewer drain due to help from son Eric...he's three! He also broke piston ring. daddys lil helper....:-|| so i ordered new rings and g clips on Monday. Got package today woohoo! but no g clips. arrgh. Gotta wait another week for clips. arrghh. arrgh arrgh

can i use flat ring clips like this as a substitute (ignore the size).

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Those type of clips are good. Make sure you get the correct metric size that fits the groove.

Probably 10mm x 1mm thick depending on your piston

You will need probably need circlip pliers when using them.

daninthesand

Jun 8, 2009
Winnipeg
Those type of clips are good. Make sure you get the correct metric size that fits the groove.

Probably 10mm x 1mm thick depending on your piston

You will need probably need circlip pliers when using them.
thanks. I have the pliers....and two boxes of assorted clips: metric and sae....hopefully by tomorrow i'll be .wee.

If anyone has g clips lying around can you measure em and post here? thanks

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Question! I did a full tear down to diagnose a grinding noise and loss of power, I yanked the g clips in the piston. I know that things like this tend to be one use the get a new one for safety sake. The problem is I can't find g clips for my 80cc piston. I found a piston set but I don't need the whole thing I only need the clips. All the G clips I can find are labeled as being for 48 or 66 cc so is a G clip a G clip? Should I spend more time looking for the right clips? Should I just use the old ones until I can get new ones? Or can I get the 66cc clips and be safe?

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Thank you Chris, I'm a n00b and just needed to hear it from some one else. I find the easiest way to keep from making mistakes is simply to ask.