Bike turns off at a stop or wen moving to slow

GoldenMotor.com

slaughtaman

Aug 9, 2011
colorado
i have a 66cc skyhawk kit with a cns carb... runs ok... i hold in clutch pedal and release then i start riding around... but wen i come to a stop/slowing down then bike shuts off... the tire locks up... isnt it supposed to idle??? its only been a few days since i pulled the motor brand new outa the box... ive messed around with the two screws on the carb but im new to this and cant figure out why it wont idle... other than that the bike runs well and takes me to work and back... i just have to keep starting it after every stop sign...help a newbie!!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
i have a 66cc skyhawk kit with a cns carb... runs ok... i hold in clutch pedal and release then i start riding around... but wen i come to a stop/slowing down then bike shuts off... the tire locks up... isnt it supposed to idle??? its only been a few days since i pulled the motor brand new outa the box... ive messed around with the two screws on the carb but im new to this and cant figure out why it wont idle... other than that the bike runs well and takes me to work and back... i just have to keep starting it after every stop sign...help a newbie!!!
You said the tire locks up. Well to idle or take some of your slow turns you need to disengage the clutch other wise the motor will bog out and die. The clutch is equally important to starting the motor. Motor is OK to handle it self when you are going fast enough to support how the motor is geared.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Like any manual transmission vehicle you'll need to disengage the clutch when coming to a stop.
Start slowing, squeeze the clutch lever and either hold it or lock it while setting at a stop. Moving away from a full stop will require a few feet of pedaling before releasing the clutch lever.
Remember; It's not a motorcycle.
Tom

slaughtaman

Aug 9, 2011
colorado
on my bike i took off the front brakes but left the original front brake lever on and replaced the brake cable with the clutch cable... i realize the lever that came with the kit has a pin to push in and it keeps the lever engaged (pulled in)... im gonna put this leaver on my bike now... is that whats supposed to keep it idling at a stop? im sorry if im frustrating but i gotta learn this somewhere cuz NO ONE i know is familiar about this stuff so i appreciate it all...

another question... the clutch arm...how do i know how MUCH im supposed to push it in when im setting the tension... and does this effect if it idles or not???

ive been reading alot of posts but now i see like 1-2 diff answers for one persons question lol

slaughtaman

Aug 9, 2011
colorado
my problem still is when i pull the clutch and hold it in it dies on me... do i just need to mess with the idle screw then? lol im full of questions lol

Alson333

Nov 9, 2011
Kankakee Illinois
Im not to fermilure with the CNS carb thers two screws ones air and gas and the other is idell I dont know whats what, maybe ask, one person did say turn your idel scrw in, ry to fund out if you turn it in or out and find out wich one is the idel screw,if you turn the idel screw to far its still good, then you can get off your bike, with cluch in and ajust your idel where it sounds good for you