First motorized bike! Questions!

GoldenMotor.com

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Ok i'm new to the forum as far as posting lol and i have some questions even though I've been browsing and searching the forums for over two weeks now!
Anyway i got my kit from Craigslist for $100 which is a steal but it's not running like it should stock.
Everything is stock and the guy i bought it from told me that the engine ran better with speed carbs ( the original are on the bike) but i can't seem to get it to idle.
I've adjusted the carbs many of times.
So i'm gonna somewhat start all over with new parts except engine, but before i do that i wanted some helpful tips as i'm not making an order until wednesday!
I was planning to purchase a new cdi, magneto and an intake manifold made by piratecycles1.com.
As of right now my jet needle is on the top most point and won't stay idled.
I was told it's only been through break in fuel/oil mix i'm assuming 36:1. I also noticed oil on the spark plug after attempting to start it. Maybe too much oil in the gas?
I'm also planning to replace the fuel lines as it isn't filled up the line.
anyway i did ride it for a minute or so and throttle respond is very poor.
So what do you guys suggest i do? Oh my spark plug is dark brown that's why i went more lean as it was too rich!

silverfox

Jun 29, 2012
Rocky mountain house, Alberta
I just broke in my first one also...so I am not the most experienced here.
but if the chain is all good and the sprockets are straight and concentric,
go work it some, seems these things don't like to idle, that will give you a better indication as to whether as you need to warrant burning needless money on parts,
that may not be needed.
take the head off, clean it if necessary, make sure it's flat...to seal right,
Put the helmet on and go .
then You'll know the real colour of the plug.
Peace, Steve

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Thanks for the help. I'll try that again for the second time.
I noticed that there were a layer of black on top the the piston, maybe caked combustion oil. Does that need cleaned also until it's like new (shiny)?
Open to all suggestions.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Give this a quick read-
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=354

If it won't idle, sounds like the intake gasket is leaking, a quick fix...or maybe the idle screw just needs to be adjusted? I'd bet on the first.

He probably didn't know was an air leak and so told you it "ran better with a speed carb". Make a new intake gasket, or seal the old one with some silicone or Seal-All, and put a new plug in before you spend a bunch of money for nothing.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
And don't worry about "cleaning the piston". Yet, a properly running bike will rarely if ever need to be de-carboned.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Here's some thought for you to do rig some tape or some like that on the throttle to keep it runing not to high tho and get yourself a spray bottle with water in it and spray all around the intake of the carb and the head gasket and carb it self, if you have a leak it should rev higher or die.Second thing is if it starts you don't need a cdi or magneto at this point.

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
here's a pic of my piston, does it need to be re-surfaced? or a whole new rebuild? If i do rebuild the whole engine i might as well by all new gaskets correct? It's only $18 but is it needed?

Anyway here's a pic

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You said that you only rode it a munite? These engines need to be run about 5 munites of driving to load the engine and get their normal operating temp. before you can determine their state of tune. All of the ones that I have owned(8) all ran crappy until thy were good and warmed up, even the ones with dialed in jetting.

Last edited:

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
I bought the engine used and I was told it was broke in using 3 tanks if 16:1 mix. Now I'm using a 25:1 mix. I rode it today after getting a new cdi and magneto in the mail. Ride for 10 minutes and its runs ok but I can't over 20 mph or it bogs. I put rtv on the intake and nt carb throttle screw. Idle screw is all the way in. Any other suggestions?

Nooflyer

Jun 26, 2012
Kansas
Ok another question! I've been googling for a day straight and i finally figured the bogging issue. But now I can't seem to go very fast ( i mean i can go from a stand still but after going from WOT then releasing the throttle letting it tame down. it idles too low then cut off) the idle screw is all the way in. Help would be nice!?