Grubee starfire 2 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

mikevkid

Mar 21, 2012
California
Hey guys I just bought this engine and I am just wondering if you have any tips for anything about this engine. Have any of you used one before? if so leave a review!.trk.wee.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
From what I have read, grubee engines are not very good. RAW engines are where its at. but that is from articles i have read, not direct experience.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
They're all about the same seems to be the general consensus. Sometimes you get a good engine, sometimes you get a bad one, regardless of the sticker slapped on it.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Sorry, Minecraft. Grubee engines are pretty decent. If you want to be technical, almost all these motors are identical. They are all the same... A little bit changes here, and some other changes there, but they're all the same.

Grubee is good, RAW is great, too. It's more of where you get your engine from rather then what engine you get.

Do a search on "grubee" in the forum and see what people are saying. The problems is usually not the motor, it's the person hooking it up. After the installation process, you still have to correctly break it in, using the right amount of fuel to oil ratio.

Just know who you're buying from. I'd try to stay away from Kings and Gasbike. I haven't used them (because I hearn nothing but horror stories about them).

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
Tear it down completely and reassemble properly. I used Lucas engine building lube that I had leftover from a previous project. Then use a good synthetic oil to break in. Right now my bike has more power than the 100 cc Honda dirt bike I used to have.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I'd have to agree that Minecraft is a bit off base, all of these china motors are hit and miss. I think one thing that gives Grubee a bad name in certain circles is they have actually been EPA approved and therefore had to change their carb. The CNS carb that is EPA approved is not as easy to tune as the old NT variety that others are still selling, however, they do run really nice when tuned well.
That said, you apparently have a Grubee STARFIRE? That is a rarity here in the USA as that particular motor hasn't been approved by the EPA for sale here recently. So you either have a motor that has been sitting in the USA for a long while, or one that made it into the USA through abnormal channels... So I'm not quite sure what carb your kit would have...
The good news is I have heard the Starfire motors are built in a different factory that is reputed to put out much better motors than where the Skyhawks and other 2-stroke kits are made. So you might have a nice one there. The bad news is parts for the Starfire aren't commonplace here, and I am not SURE if Skyhawk parts will work in your Starfire....
I have a Skyhawk and am happy with it, however, if the Starfire was EPA approved and selling regularly here in the USA I would definitely buy the StarFire.....

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia
I have owned 4 bikes with Grubee motors & they have been fine.I have also bought a couple of no name motors on Ebay for around $120 & they have been crap.There is a great deal of difference between different suppliers.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
mikevkid,

Just familiarize yourself with the engine. From past experience, Grubee was one of the better models. It seems that people have problems with the cheaper brands because they didn't spend the time to properly set them up. These engines aren't just bolt them on and go. Fine tuning is necessary and remember that riding all out is going to quickly shorten the life of the engine.

Here's a link to AI.Fisherman's pre-installation guide that maybe helpful to get you going or help you in the future.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
These engines are a crapshoot. You might get a good one or a dud.

For those of you recommending RAW engines, I'd have to agree, except RAW doesn't make engines anymore!

Various factories make these bike engines, but most of them are identical. It's all about the [lack of] care they take in making them, and you could get one that is problematic or one that has no problems at all. The best thing to do with any engine, before installation, is to take it apart and clean it; inspect it for any shards of metal or unusual sharp edges in the cylinder. If you can, replace all the stock mounting hardware with quality studs and nuts.

It's a common misconception that these engines can just be slapped on a bike and it will run correctly indefinitely. While this will essentially work, your engine and the rest of the hardware won't last. Take the proper steps to prepping your engine and upgrading the peripherals(carb, fuel line, mounting, etc), and you will get something more reliable.