Which would you choose?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd buy the one that costs less....why? Because you are taking a shot in the dark anyhow, why not save a few bucks?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Neither.....I'd buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7203608991163320864

1) I don't buy ANYTHING from BGF/luckyearlybird, due to past experience.
2) This is a complete kip, you get extra parts. Chances down the road a CDI or coil will do out. I think this is a 75% chance (most common problem). A coil is roughly $13.00 and a CDI $14.00. Really they are nice to have on hand.
3) I have dealt with them before, they made good on a warped sprocket.
4) But if you want the cheapest way out...buy the cheapest, take time and do some much needed modifications (they all need them, my past experience), modification, retail starting at $18.00 for a complete replacement of stud.
5) Really, all these engines, are about the same, I wouldn't base buying on the price.

If this is your first build look at this....
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Really Alf?

Seems like Flamencomann is brand new on the bay...
Not really much of a track record, to speak of.

and it's 170 with the freight.

NOT that I would have anything against him, just curious abt your choice.

IMO, time is well spent reading the selection threads, which will basically contribute to the confusion! and aggravation! but always best to patronize one of the motorbicycling.com sponsoring vendors, whenever possible.

Best
rc

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I got a BGF kit last summer. It had it's share of problems, as I'm sure all the china girls do. In my case, I had
-to cut a new cylinder gasket (the crappy one that shipped blew out. Literally)
-replaced the bolts using the SBP hardware kit
-to use form-a-gasket for both intake and exhaust manifolds (air leaks on intake, and exhaust gaskets kept breaking apart)
-the spark plug boot fell apart, I've jury rigged a fix, but nothing permanent yet
-to fabricate my own rag joint rear sprocket mount as the sprocket they sent didn't match the size of the crescent mounting plates

and to do lots of other things, but over all, it's been a pretty decent engine. Paid 160 USD shipped for it iirc. Oh, it is a 49cc straight head by the way.

@ Al: The google docs page doesn't work.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Really Alf?

Seems like Flamencomann is brand new on the bay...
Not really much of a track record, to speak of.

and it's 170 with the freight.

NOT that I would have anything against him, just curious abt your choice.

IMO, time is well spent reading the selection threads, which will basically contribute to the confusion! and aggravation! but always best to patronize one of the motorbicycling.com sponsoring vendors, whenever possible.

Best
rc
Looking back, no I haven't dealt with him, sorry.... I was looking at so many.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Neither.....I'd buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-B...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7203608991163320864

1) I don't buy ANYTHING from BGF/luckyearlybird, due to past experience.
2) This is a complete kip, you get extra parts. Chances down the road a CDI or coil will do out. I think this is a 75% chance (most common problem). A coil is roughly $13.00 and a CDI $14.00. Really they are nice to have on hand.
3) I have dealt with them before, they made good on a warped sprocket.
4) But if you want the cheapest way out...buy the cheapest, take time and do some much needed modifications (they all need them, my past experience), modification, retail starting at $18.00 for a complete replacement of stud.
5) Really, all these engines, are about the same, I wouldn't base buying on the price.

If this is your first build look at this....
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit
(1) Thanks for telling me this, reputation is everything in this biz!!

(2) I agree that getting an entire kit might be the way to go, spare parts are great to have but I think I want the larger 66cc/80cc engine rather than a 48cc.

(3) That's good to know!

(4) I don't particularly want the cheapest way out. I don't mind spending a little more for a BETTER BUILT engine. However my budget for this is $100-$180. Also, I don't mind doing some simple mods, I have a lot of tools and a mildly supplied shop although I'm no mechanic. Thanks for posting the document!! VERY HELPFUL!!

(5) I'm a little confused here, if they are all the same why wouldn't I base my decision on price alone? What other bases is there?

I'm kinda leaning toward the $129 one because it clearly says:

2 cycle 66/80cc engine with built in clutch
203 Crank bearings, Needle bearings

I'm not so sure what "built in clutch" really means but the $80 one doesn't say that. I think the $80 one has 202 crank bearings although I'm not positive of this. I might e-mail him and ask. I asked about this Chrome one and was told it has 202 crank bearings and it looks like the exact same BGF engine except in chrome. 203 crank bearings are bigger and better right??

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
@ Rustycase---- I hear ya!! It seems like the more of these I look at the more unsure I am on which one to get!

@ Spaz_Static--- Thank you for posting your experiences with BGF. I know nothing about these brands so I guess I need to read up on them in the other threads. They don't give you much to go on when you are looking at these China Girls, most places don't even provide Specs for the motors they are selling and a picture is not much to go on. Reputation is everything!!
!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Oh Gosh, Ty...

I think I might have given the wrong impression???

Let me try again. :)

With these HT/Chinagirl bicycle engine kits, it's ALL a crapshoot.

Guaranteed !!!

Price, advertising, displacement, laws, etc... none of it makes any difference in what you may really get when your box comes in the mail.

And even that changes when you go to assemble it, and MORE changes when you go to attempt operation!

...yet it could all go like a dream!

There is no telling.

Perhaps the best thing would be to purchase a kitbike from one of the sponsoring vendors. As a rule, they make an effort at integrity, when it comes to support.

So, you will need to balance out your possible/probable need for support against initial price outlay.

Truly, it's an adventure!

If you can't do this for the entertainment value, it's just not going to work for you.

Personally, I have enjoyed participation here on the forum as much as riding the motorized bicycle.

Good luck
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'd go with the BGF motor. I buy most of my motors from them and LEB. I've had good luck with both of them.

I like the T80 and X80 a little better than the Z80, but only because the Z has the smaller front mount. The X had the best combustion chamber.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
the $80.00 one for sure because you'd be getting the same engine as the $129.00 one.
the only thing that may be lacking is the customer service and any kind of warranty if you buy from bgf.
I've bought several engines and parts frm bgf and have never had any problems with them.
it's a shot in the dark, no matter who you buy from,,,you can get a good $80.00 engine, or you could get a junk $129.00 engine.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks for everyone's advice! I have decided to go with the more expensive one. I know, I know, most of you advised me to get the $80 one. So why did I decide to get the $129 one? 3 reasons:
(1) The $120 one has 203 crank bearings while the $80 one has 202 crank bearings (I asked)
(2) Helio will ship to CA but the ebay guy won't send the BGF one to CA. To get the $80 one I would have to get it sent to NV and have my friend send it to me in CA for about $20 more making the final price between the 2 much closer ($100 vs $129) shipping is about the same for both.
(3) Helio offers a 90 day warranty on their 2 stroke motors while the ebay guy is only a 14 day return policy.

These extras seems worth $29 extra to me but time will tell.

The thing I have learned from this is that I respectfully disagree to those who say "they are all the same". In fact, they are all different, even between 2 that are the exact same make and model. You can order 2 of the exact same ones and get 2 different quality engines. Such is life when you buy these cheap china girls. My next build will be a 4 stroke kit. I hope they are more consistent.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...The thing I have learned from this is that I respectfully disagree to those who say "they are all the same". In fact, they are all different, even between 2 that are the exact same make and model. You can order 2 of the exact same ones and get 2 different quality engines. Such is life when you buy these cheap china girls...
Odd as it my sound, but that's what I believe is part of what is meant - ie "they're all the same (lack of quality control)"... TBH, as you've figured a $29 difference one way or the other is splitting hairs. I suspect these cautions are more directed towards those that would charge yet more, claiming that somehow theirs are truly "different" - primarily a caution regarding claims of quality, preformance, branding, etc. & the drastic price difference such can and does incur ;)