Engine fire, bad burns.

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No- I'm just speaking mostly in general terms-
You didn't mention closing the valve- I'm just saying that shutting it off first thing may keep the tank from exploding if the line is breached

I don't know how you got your pants soaked with gas though- there are a number of commercial stain removers available if you soil yourself otherwise- which AREN'T highly flammable.

and THAT was meant to be condescenDING!

I personally witnessed this crash and the aftermath through binoculars-
the burning man (near the outside wall, moving around at :53 to:57 was actually about the biggest piece left on the track after the wreck- horrible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLUbDwW9XWk
He died of burns later that summer.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
His pants had gas on them because he took out the spark plug to be able to bump the engine over & clear out all the excess gas that was loading up the cylinder! (This is a totally common thing to do in that situation.)
He also had the spark plug removed from the boot to prevent a spark. (the smart thing to do.)

Maybe he could have placed a rag over the open hole to keep the gas from spraying up onto him?, But to be honest I dont think I would've done anything different than he did... (I smell like gasoline every day anyways!)

I learned a valuable lesson from reading this!!! (Unplug the CDI too!!!!)

(& yes, he's one cold Kat!) :/

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah holding the kill button would have worked. 20/20 hindsight, but he probably didn't expect a gusher of gasoline to spray all over. I wouldn't have till now.