Silverbear is in the hospital.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I had 2 stents just over 2 years ago. With hindsight I know the signs were there that an attack was possible/coming, but you don't tend to think of yourself being that ill until it happens.

I'm currently doing ok, he'll have to start recovering strength and fitness the way I did, small amounts of exercise once a doctor says ok, then steadily increase the amount a little bit at a time. Take an occasional day or two off if there's any problems, and restart at a lower level again.

Some of us suffer from high platelet count, which can cause clogged arteries, so red meat (which contains something that promotes platelet creation) is a treat, rather than a regular item on the table. I'm mostly vegetarian now, and it's not too bad as the choice is much greater these days than it used to be.

Wave hello to the Bear, reassure him, modern medicine actually does work quite well.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I just received a email from Silverbear's friends and neighbours that he had a heart attack this morning. He was taken to the local hospital in Ely and then to the Duluth hospital.

It seems that it is a very serious one and he probably won't be home for a few months. I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I hear what happened.

Steve.
Oh man that really sucks. I pray he will be ok. I had one of those a few months back and there NO fun.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
This is saddening and frustrating at the same time.
Silverbear doesn't deserve this. He is a good man who has gone through he11 and came out better than ever.
I will keep him in my prayers!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for letting us know, Steve.

Best wishes to you, Silverbear. Hope everything works out well. We'll keep an engine warm for you.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thank you all. More than happy to keep everyone informed about one of our own.

Silverbear has had one stent put in Friday and it looks like he will have a second one done on Monday. His brother said that he talked to him on the phone briefly because Silverbear was pretty worn out from it all but was in really good spirits.

I'll keep everyone posted as I hear what is happening.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Let's all pray for SB. In the meanwhile, would somebody tell him he can't leave us yet because God isn't anywhere near done with putting in bike trails up in heaven. Maybe that will buy some time.

Seriously though, if all I can do is pray for him, I'll be doing that. Hang in there SB!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig II,

Thank you for telling us what Silverbear can expect after his surgery and recovery. Really sorry to hear that it is first hand information and glad that you recovered.

There are so many more choices for vegetarian and vegan meals as you say that it's long past the carrot sticks and celery stalks and lettuce.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Silverbear will probably report, like a lot of others, that the moment the blocked artery was opened up, he could feel the difference, it really is that sudden an improvement in blood flow.

Like I said, one day at a time, build up steadily. And be prepared to feel the simple and unexpected delight of the ordinary.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig II,

That explains a lot to me. Silverbear and I would share as many as eight emails a day when the ideas were flowing back and forth. Recently it's been one a week from him and usually a quick up date on how poorly he was feeling because of his bronchitis which now would seem to be his heart attack getting ready to happen.

Thank you for your insight.

Now someone will have to hold the old bear back because with a new start he will be hammer and tongs on the bikes and life.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
4 weeks or more of coughing? Dizziness while coughing? Inability to deal with stairs? Pins and needles in extremities? Increased amount of unexpected sleeping/dozing off?

I had all of those. If anybody else reading this has them, do not mess about, get yourself looked at now, not "when I get round to it." You might not get a second chance.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
My Prayers for you Walter .....and I hope someone is looking after his pooch. Aanimoosh

GET WELL BUDDY !!!!!!

Like you do, I will imagine it in my mind and it will be.