Chief say "how" :)

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well... This is how! :) I founded on Craigslist a nifty Felt Chief and snagged it a while back and have been doing unatural thngs to it ever since. I decided to do a clean belt drive, to hopefully keep the cream tires cream. I also wanted to do a 4G trans as I havnt ridden a bike with one of these and I happened to have one on hand... I've been colecting parts and bits for a while now and have started the build in earnest. The new whizzer sheive went on GREAT! compared to the last one I did. The new style fastners made it a breeze and running true first attempt.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Re: Chief say "HOW"

So I bought a motor mount and wide crank from Phantom Bikes ( thanks John ) and a used Phantom exhaust from a friendly member. The gas tank and 1" billet clamp came from ebay and the attachment arms are just round stock steel from Ace Hwd. I cut the round stock to length and heated it to bright orange with a MAPP gas torch then using a 5 lb hammer pounded the ends flat, and gave it a bit of a curve to match the curve of the tank. I also internally vented the tank and ran the vent down the R seat stay. The hole in the gas cap vent got pluged with JB Weld. I didnt want raw gas squirting up by backside with every bump. Tends to burn and chafe. :eek: After DAYS and nights of searching I finally found an eBay Germany seller who would ship a Lepper Primus saddle to America. Its BEAUTIFUL and OH SO MANY SPRINGS HAHahaah. Its safely tucked away but will get a pic of it on the bike this weekend. azbill helped me again getting a HS 49cc again ( thanks Bill ) and I have a stock spare carb at AGK now being boared out to the high performance job.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
A Sturmey Archer 90mm drum was laced into the front hub and I had the rear wheel true'd and dished as far to the right side as it could go; hoping to get enough clearance for the belt past these fatty tires. Its gonna be close... If you look VERY close you will see bearings hiding inside the clutch drum where used to live the oilyte bushing. Had a neighbor hold the bike while I took my brandbe new angle grinder from Harbor Freight with a 36 grit disk and took the shaft down to fit the little bearings; as described by cobrafreak in his most excelent bearing conversion thread. It was easy and I'm releaved I didnt distroy my new motor right off the bat. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The motor mount will have to be modified to allow the motor to move to the Left about 1/4 inch. I had the same problem doing a belt drive on the Twin build and know how to do a better and much less expensive job of it than last time. Thats it for now and I work the next three nights so I have to shut off the build fun for now. ( sad ) But I have a nice jump on things. Wait till ya see the headlights I got off a member at the Ratrodbikes. Teazer for the weekend. .shft.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That is a dream motorbike. Where did you find the MX style handlebars? On top of that, you have bike lanes out there to ride in.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
That is a dream motorbike. Where did you find the MX style handlebars? On top of that, you have bike lanes out there to ride in.
Hey Bender! Ya we have bike lanes on some streets, not nearly enough if you ask me. The bars are actually reproduction vintage crossbrace balloon tire bike bars.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
KC. NO WAY am I riding clear up to Sunnyslope on this thing! I'll meet ya some Saturday night at the Pavillions though! Was up there few months back with BigBill and his 99cc build. These bikes really draw a crowd :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I really wanted a Chief last year, but by the time I tried to roder one they stopped making them, and I had to settle for a Deep 6.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Huh? I scratch it all the time :oops: Wait! OH! you mean the bike. Gotchya. One of the ropes on my hoist slipped the other day and the rear tire came down from about 2 feet; bounced HARD and launched a part that was resting on the bike off the wall, ceiling and a cabnet and almost hit me. Bout had a heart attack but no scratches. The front rope saved it.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Good looking bike! Velo, Glad you chose the type of tank you did, now go to Pet Smart and get a couple of dog collars to simulate tank straps, get em the same color as the seat they don't cost an arm & a leg either and look cool as, well you know.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
?!! HOW !! Spun my wheels all day doing "stuff" and sorting parts and plans at Ace Hwd. for my tensioner. I did manage to cut the new slots in the motor mount; for the motor to move left about 15mm or so. I simpley marked where I wanted the new slots by measuring the off set with my Dial caliper and a silver sharpy. Then using a center punch drilled pilot holes and oversized final holes. Then used a saber saw to cut out the slots. I did a crappy job and it shows; but it works. :) and who's gonna see it? Its under the motor! Honestly... It looks way worse in the pics than in real life.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Test mock up with a bit of bungie tells me I got it right! dance1 Hard to see in the pics but the bungie belt is running streight and true from the sheive to the output pulley. I also had time to install my drainzit and a new motor position adjustment device that now comes standard aparently with the Phantom mounts. I'll get a pic of that in the morning in daylight as its just to darnd dark to do it justice. It a bit of Genius made into metal!

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Whats that sitting next to the Cheep AHH! I mean Chief (LOL!) is that the Cycle truck or another Worksman ?
And I wouldn't mess with Big Chesty, get that Ol' Gal a Burrito forget the taco an give us more pic's of the Chief.