2nd Build Full Suspension KTM Clone, SBP Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I have one of those motors and I am impressed with it. The stock clutch is going to be a learning process for you. I switched over to a tomar clutch and couldn't be happier.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I have been watching your KTM clone video and it was a help in deciding to do a KTM. And thanks for the clutch info! Do you have a link to the clutch you are running?

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
dang what does one of those set you back?

btw i posted pictures of my full suspension.
i was riding it at the bmx track here to day. i jumped a table lol but i quit before i could break it

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
dang what does one of those set you back?

btw i posted pictures of my full suspension.
i was riding it at the bmx track here to day. i jumped a table lol but i quit before i could break it
The engines are about $500, but when you consider how much you can sink into a China Girl to get less HP its not so bad. Its also built much better than the China Girls.
I quit doing anything other that small to mid jumps, these things are heavy and can hit hard and I dont want to break it yet.....lol

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Great build, I think it's gonna ride as good as it looksxct2

It looks like a pretty doable build, I used be afraid of tackling a non kit build but after some research and emulating what past members have built, things don't looks so hard any more.

Those clamps from dansperformance really looks good and save from ruining a good frame.

If I were to make a another two stroke, it will definetly be with one of these china dolls, not china girls lol, these are alot more pretty and refined lol

Keep up us updated, maybe a good video?

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Great build, I think it's gonna ride as good as it looksxct2

It looks like a pretty doable build, I used be afraid of tackling a non kit build but after some research and emulating what past members have built, things don't looks so hard any more.

Those clamps from dansperformance really looks good and save from ruining a good frame.

If I were to make a another two stroke, it will definetly be with one of these china dolls, not china girls lol, these are alot more pretty and refined lol

Keep up us updated, maybe a good video?

Thanks! China Girl......lol. I will definitely do a video of the first attempt, or broken chain...........lol

The Dans clamps are very nice but the screws it comes with are too short and I went to longer screws so it will have more thread strength and not strip out the aluminum.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I am still waiting on the engine to jackshaft chain and I got impatient so I called the 2 local bearing houses and they want $60 for 10 feet, I dont need 10 feet and I dont want to spend $60 bucks when I have one on the way so I will try to be patient. It should be here in another day or two so in the mean time I did the final mounting of the engine and adjusted the right side jackshaft chain. Then I fired up the engine and rode around pedaling and blipping the throttle wishing it went under its own power, I am that desperate.....lol.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHR0bMLwqgo&list=UUp2zIoY4JB6KWvEWedGWidg&index=1

Well, first attempt at a test ride and the clutch never locked up. Since I was in 1st gear which is very low, even with a high clutch lockup setting like the way it comes it never locked up and did nothing but slip and that was the farthest I have twisted the throttle yet in an attempt to get the clutch to lock up.

Also I tried to video that ride and the camera didnt work for some reason. So I went back and opened up the clutch for the first time to look at the spring washer stack and removed 2 spring washers and 1 shim out of each shoe in an attempt to get the clutch lockup at a very low rpm. At this point the spring washer stack looks like this for those familiar with these clutches....

[] [] [] [] [] []

If you are using a transmission instead of a single speed, the clutch doesnt have to slip so much since the first gear is such a low ratio compared to the single speeds ratio and you want it to start grabbing just above idle, you dont need to get up in the power as much with a lower ratio. When I removed the shoes I found the shoulder bolts threads were messed up from the factory, the Chinese seem to have a real problem with threads and bolts! And its scary to think these fools have nukes and want to put a man on the moon!

Then I tried another test ride and............ IT WORKS! So far but Im not twisting hard on the throttle yet.

It is just incredible the way it pulls with that much power with the lower gears and a the ability to shift.

Since Im breaking in the engine and Im worried about the torque breaking a bicycle chain or freewheel I never went beyond 1/2 throttle and even at that the clutch locks up even before 1/2 throttle the way I hoped. I carefully shifted the gears up to 5th but was still taking it real easy! It down shifts easier than I hoped because when you let off the throttle the chain and spockets still continue to spin from the momentum and that lets the rear derailleur do its thing just fine. Being a centrifugal clutch I thought I would have to ghost pedal to downshift if you waited too long after letting of the throttle but thats not how you have to do it after all.

I came back home and opened up the clutch again and removed 1 more spring washer trying to get the clutch to grab right off idle and that helped a lot. I went for a short street test ride and still didnt go past 1/2 throttle but I let it wind out in each gear a little more and OMG! Its gonna be hard to keep the front wheel on the ground! The new spring washer stack looks like this [] [] [] [] [] [

The video is from the first ride where I didnt wind out as much as the second ride. But I didnt video the second ride where the clutch was even better. This thing is a rocket! It still may break something from the torque after I get it broken in and you are gonna have to refrain from power shifting!. Since its kinda loud and I have an abundance of power Im gonna make a killer muffler to quiet it down even at the expense of some power if need be.

This thing looks like its gonna be a blast! It has a seven speed rear and it looks like you wont need more than 5-6, I may even lower the jackshaft gearing in the future.

Terrible camera work and a lot of wind noise....sorry

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Dang that's gonna be a fast bike once you wind it out all the way... Better upgrade better rims, like downhill rims lol

And maybe some hydraulic brakes with 203 front rotor too

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Well I have gone full throttle and let it wind out several times and still havent broken anything and I am happy as.....well you know. I still take a little time between gears and I dont hammer the throttle back on after a shift but I am definitely pushing it harder! And I am progressively pushing it a little harder every day but I never will hammer shift it on power, that would at least wear stuff out quick if not destroy it right away.

Today I went out on a road where the posted speed limit is 50 mph and traffic flows 50+ mph and I was keeping up with the cars, I was full throttle and I still had one more gear left I think (was a little too busy hangin on to look back at the rear cogs and I dont have a gear indicator on this bike). I love the way the front suspension lifts and the rear squats a little on a hard pull. This bike is the most fun 2 wheeled anything I have ever ridden. Later I was on a dirt farm road riding along side the cars that were traveling about 45 mph and a honda civic was pacing me so I went full throttle and pulled away. I could hear him hit the throttle but he had to let off for traffic. Oh ya, I was ghost pedaling just to rub salt in the wound.....lol

I bought this GT just for motorizing it and after I test rode it before the engine I thought it was the best riding bike I had ever ridden and it was almost a shame to put an engine on it. But now I feel like it would be a much bigger shame to make it back into a pedal bike!

I also made a chain tensioner for the left side chain since I hadnt built a way to adjust that chain into my engine mounts. I used a modified skateboard wheel.

Last edited:

Zuko45

May 2, 2013
Ohio
Great build Bill , Glad the auto clutch and shifting is working.Im going to change the clutch springs first thing. You might think of getting a grip shift for your bike.It really works very good . My 50 should be here in 5 days. Cant wait to get started on it after seeing your videos of yours running. Ride Safe, Dougxct2

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Great build Bill , Glad the auto clutch and shifting is working.Im going to change the clutch springs first thing. You might think of getting a grip shift for your bike.It really works very good . My 50 should be here in 5 days. Cant wait to get started on it after seeing your videos of yours running. Ride Safe, Dougxct2
Thanks Doug.
I bought a coil spring set for the ktm adventure clutch off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/390578847038?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 . It claims they are for beginner kids and the lock up is real low. I really dont know why I bought them since my clutch grabs almost right off idle but has no drag at idle. Also if you go by my spring washer setup add 1 thin flat shim to the stack, my shoes had a little play which seems to be ok but next time I am gonna add the shim to take out that freeplay on the spring washers and the shoe.

I dont like grip shift, I really like the standard shifters.

Cant wait to see your bike, you are gonna love it! I really suggest taking it real easy shifting for a while at least. Good luck with your build. And oh ya, I havent weighed my bike yet but it seems heavier than my china girl GT.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Since it looks like this shifter thing is gonna work I ordered my wheels today along with cheapo $16 disc rotor/caliper package. Although I am very surprised that V-brakes work very good even at high speed and the fact that this thing is fairly heavy.

Zuko45

May 2, 2013
Ohio
I bought the same spring kit myself off ebay. LoL .Put glad to see that you can make the stock springs work. I still might give them a try so it dont feel like i threw 53.00 down the drain. Dougdnut