New Build Questions

GoldenMotor.com

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Hello!

I am hoping to have an 80cc kit ordered and installed on a beachcruiser bike within the next few weeks.

I am having some trouble identifying which kit vendors are reputable, especially for quality kits and good customer service (since I assume I'll probably need it).

What are some reputable vendors and reliable kits?

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
Hey gunslinger,

Im pretty new here myself, but in my research and on here I have seen a number of reputable and reccomended sites. There was only one company that I will mention had a forum post 3-4 years ago against ordering from gasbikes.com, and another one on here a couple months ago (http://motorbicycling.com/f3/problems-ordering-gasbike-dot-net-25878.html), seems to be a 50/50 split whether theyre good to order from or not. I went with bicycles-engines.com(aka..birddog distributing, if you want to research the company), as they were the most responsive to my inquiries. I had phone as well as email support with both technical and customer support reps, they continue to assist me even after payment, I ordered late friday and recieved a Fedex tracking number early monday. There was a post I saw on here the other day with a list of companies that was listed as reputable, but didnt see it with a quick search as I was writing this. Many others on here might be much more informed than me however, as they have been here alot longer...

Hope this helps,
the dude

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Thanks dude, I appreciate it. I have my heart set on a Grubee 80cc kit, and bicycle-engines.com seems to be out of stock :/

I'm overwhelmed by the dealers which sell these kits, so its difficult to tell which ones are actually ligitimate with good customer support and which are just the fly-by-night wholesalers.

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided on a 58cc starfire from bicycle-engines.com, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive next week. I'm looking forward to finding a cruiser and rigging it all up.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
if its the 58cc phantom edition motor youll be happy with it. that was my first motor. let me suggest that you do replace the head studs and the other studs that come with it, with the upgraded ones you can get from SBP. overall the motor is tight and took awhile to break in , but once it was, it is a really strong motor. i only changed motors cuz i ran out of things to do to my bike and just wanted a nice running ,broke in motor for a back-up.
Keep us posted on how your build comes along.
RIDE ON>>>

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome gunslinger :) I have found some nice bikes at pawn shops. Pablo at SBP, Duane at that'sdax are great people. Great parts, good prices. Any questions you may have someone here has the awnser. (c)

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Thats the one i bought, its en route now. It seems like a good deal, im glad to hear you were happy with yours. I'll look into some new studs, and Ill definitely keep you guys posted on how it goes, Im pretty sure ill have some more questions before its through. I really appreciate all of the info, it helped me make a confident decision.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Many years ago, I set my first kit out on the floor and just looked at it for days. This does this, that does that. I look at stuff before I act if I can. We are here, just ask. (c)

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
hey, gunslinger, if you go to my profile you can see pictures of that motor on my mtb.
its been alot of work, but has been fun as **** and kept me busy all summer.
check it out..
RIDE ON>>>>>>>>>

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
How is this kit on speed overall? I'm looking to do close to 30 mph if I can, and I was hoping this one would do it. I know break in is a divisive issue from what I've read, but what would be a good approach for breaking in this one to achieve a higher cruising speed?

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Just take it easy for the first few tanks of gas, you dont want to break anything. i didnt start feeling the power till maby tank 6-8. also though i did alot of upgading during this time- cdi, carb, exhaust.
Did you check out my bike pics in my profile?
is your kit coming with the HD axel?

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Hey, just an update and a few questions.

I took a look at your pics, Richirich, excellent bike. Looks like a fun ride.
I'll be assembling the bike, a Schwinn clairmont, over the next day, and mounting the engine this weekend hopefully.

The stock spark plug boot crumbled in my hand, which I've read is pretty common. Would anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement?

Also, I have not started the engine yet, but it feels like the clutch arm is just swinging freely from one stop to the other. Is this normal or is there a problem with it?

Thanks everyone, I'll have pictures on the way soon.

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Also, it did come with an hd axle, but I'll need to see if it will fit the frame. It is a seven speed, so it might not fit the cassette. I'd prefer to use it if possible, but it also came with the standard sprocket and rubber spacers if not.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
Yea, mbiking is pretty fun.
yes the spark plug boot is no good, my cracked the first time i tried to put it on the spark plug. You can just go to pretty much any auto parts store and get a single spark plug wire. The old one unscrews then cut the new one to length and screw on. Or, you can upgade the whole ignition with a new cdi. I have the jaguar cdi from jnmotors it is way better than the stock since you cane change the timing curve.you can click on the info and it will tell you all about it. I have never seen a bad review of it.
As far as the clutch , it sounds like you just dont have it adjusted yet, with the arm facing the rear of the motor ,pull the cable thru the arm and tighten when you have only 1/8 inch free play back and forth. if all is right ,when you push in the lower thumb button you will feel resistance as the clutch arm is pulled towards the other side of the engine. one more click of the thumb button and the clutch should be fully disengaged. then hitting the top lever once then twice is like popping the clutch.
I hope this helps, for sure keep us posted on how it go's
RIDE ON>>>>

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
if you use the hd axel, it is best to take it to the bike shop. most likly they will have to relpace the spokes since it is a larger diameter hub. if they can make it work go with the hd axel. the other sproket adapter is really a pain and hard to get straight, but you can search the how to threads and there are excelent tutorials on how to install the rubber adapter plates.
This site is great, i have spent many hours reading all the how to posts. if you have questions there will always be people more than willing to help.
Good luck

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Thank you everyone for your help. It works! I got it running tonight, gave me a huge thrill to ride it up and down the road. Had a little trouble getting it started, but once it kicked over it zoomed!