Cold air through intake idea

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Okay, so more compression means more horse power, right?

When air cools it contracts, so I got this idea:

What if I created a box on the intake that cools down the air before it enters the carb? I don't know how I'd accomplish this, but let's just say hypothetically this were possible.

Since the cool air is contracted air, theoretically, wouldn't it expand inside the cylinder during fuel explosion, therefore creating more compression?

I haven't tried this yet, but I might consider it if the idea is sound. Anyone here have any input? I don't live in a cold climate so I don't know, but does riding in cold weather increase performance at all?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
One member made a ram air intake for his filter from PVC pipe. The faster you travel, the faster air enters the intake.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
One member made a ram air intake for his filter from PVC pipe. The faster you travel, the faster air enters the intake.
I've actually done something similar to the ram air system by surrounding my air filter with the bottom of a can in order to push moving air into the carb. Like this:

Doesn't do quite enough to add noticeable power, but it does seem to lean out the mixture just enough that most of the normal 4 stroking goes away.

The difference between my idea and a ram air system is that a ram air system pushes air into the carb and also leans out the fuel injection(not to be confused with a "fuel injection" system). My idea would instead(or in conjunction with a ram air system) would make the air going into the intake very cold; that way that when it enters the cylinder and the fuel explodes, the cold air is suddenly heated and expands more than warm air would. At least that's my hypothesis.

The problem is I don't know how cold the air would have to get for there to be any noticeable increase in compression, so if it turns out that the air would need to be extremely cold, I'd need to find a way to make the air extremely cold quickly enough before it enters the carb.

This is why I'm wondering if cold weather has any effect on performance(other than freezing your fuel). If it does, then I'd have reason to continue with figuring out how to make this work.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Ram air pressure won't make any significant performance change at speeds below about 70 mph.
Cooler denser air does make a significant difference. Most all carbed engines run better in cold air.

You could figure out a large container for cracked ice that the intake air could be drawn thru, for a low tech approach. Maybe with or without exchange tubes in the container.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
All that stuff could make an improvement.
but the amount of increase is a very small percentage to be weighed against the efficiency of the design in place.

they do build tunnel rams
cold air intakes
turn cylinder around to face carb forward for ram air
pack fuel line with dry ice
use aftercoolers on engines to cool the intake temps

always good to see someone thinkin' !

best improvement to a 2 smoke is an expansion chamber.
rc

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hafta use exchange tubes for sure with dry ice, It's frozen c02.

MB's don't go fast enough for ram air to work,no matter where the carby points.

RC is right about the ex chamber being the easiest and greatest inprovement in performance

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I'd get an expansion chamber if I had the money! Or the willingness to have my pedals always cling up against something metal, or have a piece of extremely hot tubing right under my seat.

I disagree about the ram air not working. With my crappy pineapple can setup, I don't think I get more horse power, but it seems to help lean out the mixture just enough that 4 stroking through normal operation is almost eliminated. The NT carbs often run a little rich anyway.

Wouldn't CO2 effect the explosion inside the cylinder since it would be displacing oxygen? I'd think it would act as an explosive retardant. It would be one thing if it were on the outside, but I'd think it would be a bad idea to have the air pass directly over dry ice to cool it. Regular ice may work just fine as long as no water gets into the carb/engine.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In theory since cool air is denser than warm air, shouldn't you have potential for more power because, denser air = more oxygen?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You could try feeding it a higher O2 mix somehow, maybe with something like this: Worthington Oxygen Gas, 14.1 Oz | Canadian Tire or Amazon.com: Just Oxygen Portable Oxygen Bar in a Can - Energy for Body: Health & Personal Care... but that's about all I can think of, unless you have access to medical Oxygen.
CAUTION!!!
Introducing pure oxygen into an internal combustion engine is a very very dangerous thing to do. You are essentially creating a bomb. NO NOT ATTEMPT IT! :(
Tom

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yeah, oxygen is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I want to accidentally turn an oxy tank into a rocket!

I have a leftover CPU heat sink. Maybe I can make a box where the bottom of the sink touches ice or dry ice, and the air passes through the fins making it cool down before it enters the carb?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Heh heh, hey now, I said you could do, but I wouldn't like to see the result. Any bets on whether the engine would be glowing hot before it blows? ;)

Still not sure about the ice/dry ice idea... I recall a while back a TV add for a 'miracle defrosting' tray or plate.. essentially it was a really, really conductive alloy. Hot or cold items put on it reached room temp very quickly. A set of fins made of something like this on the intake might do what you're looking for if they're cool (like from airflow over them).