new 4g kit questions haushaeng 49cc

GoldenMotor.com

mnrider

Sep 10, 2008
minneapolis
Well its winter here in minnesota and I got the itch again and decided to pull the trigger on a 4g kit from spookytooth. I received it in the mail today and every thing was packed well and seems to be there. I pulled the engine out of its box and I am a little confused. There are 2 fuel lines into the carb. One is in a bent tube near the top with another nipple below it without a fuel line on it. The other fuel line attaches to the bottom of the carb (on the bowl??) Which one goes to the gas tank and what do I do with the other one, and what about that extra nipple??? I also cant find the priming bulb on this engine. I own a cheap 2troke kit and a GEBE so I not completely a newbie but this kind of has me perplexed. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Natednut

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
The line on the bottom of the bowl is just an overflow tube, route it away from the engine in case of gas coming out. The other goes to the tank. There is no priming bulb.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
No problem. You can leave the other open or stick a tube on, doesn't matter. Good luck with your install. Let us know how it works. I would like to know what you think of that kit before I get one.
Oh yeah, the tube on the bottom of the bowl can be used to drain the bowl also. If you need to drain it, turn the flat head screw, on the bottom of the bowl, counterclockwise to drain it out. The hose makes it a lot cleaner and easier to set up for winter or get out bad gas.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Dude, I completely lied to you. Sorry! Both of the nipples with hoses are to stay that way. The one that is open is the gas nipple. It's been a while since I looked, so I ran out in the shop to make sure.
The one on top, bent, is the overflow. The second down, larger diameter, is the fuel. The bottom is bowl drain.

Last edited:

mnrider

Sep 10, 2008
minneapolis
do you just take off the hose from the bowl then only put it on when you need to drain the bowl? It looks like it might interfere with the tranny.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
do you just take off the hose from the bowl then only put it on when you need to drain the bowl? It looks like it might interfere with the tranny.
I'm sure you could. I wire tied mine to the seat tube to keep it out of the way.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not to go OT, but how is the 4G? Looks purty awesome. (I have a Honda GX50 in great need of a drive)

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Far Northern N.S.W Australia
The 4G is very smooth and works quite well , but it is under geared and this made me run a 40 th rear sprocket , this helps but it could easily run an even smaller sprocket ,a 36th for instance .
Anyway Grubee have seen sense and updated for 2010 , the 4G now comes with reworked ratios and the parts will be available seperately to update early versions .

mnrider

Sep 10, 2008
minneapolis
when did this update happen? I just got this and dont want to upgrade already. What are the differences on the updated version so I can check which mine is. Mine came with a 50 tooth rear sprocket,

simonjohnwilmer

Jul 16, 2009
Far Northern N.S.W Australia
Irish John on the other site got an email from Don Grubee , the upgrade isnt available just yet but you could check yours , the new one has a smaller large pulley ,it has four holes while the other has five , its annoying but a lot of owners of the 4G let Grubee know they werent happy with the units performance and I guess we should be thankfull they fixed it , actually the new pulley has a freewheel built in and they give you a solid 10th drive sprocket . its a good idea to get rid of the rag joint rear sprocket that comes with most kits , an adapter from Manic Mechanic or Pirate Cycles is a massive improvement .
I just checked the Grubee site and it has info on the new parts in the 4G section.

Last edited:

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I have one, and fine it nice and smooth. Pablo is right, it is Very wide and Very heavy, wouldn't say depleted uranium heavy, more like americum :) It is noisy when it is spinning down, meaning the momentum of the pulleys keeps everything spinning even tho you are not giving it gas and are moving fast enough to not have the freewheel engage. Maybe its bcause its brand new and the belt hasnt had time to wear down.

the only time you ever hear the noise is when you have released the throttle and are coasting usually you will head it when you come to a stop.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Anybody know if the 4G is available as only a reduction drive and not with an engine, yet. I really want to get one but I don't need another engine. I saw that bicycle-engines has a lot of parts for them, but not a complet drive unit.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Are you sure?, Quenton. I recently purchased the G4 Kit and the engine that came with it was the HS 142, not the HS 142-1 which supposednly hase the 14v 7amp alternator built in. My HS142 fits fine.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
They are both the exact same engine, the HS142 and HS142-1. The HS 142-1 has a alternator built in and it is 2 inches wider than the HS142. I hope they sell the alretnator to that engine as a seperate unit. I would like to run a full set of lights

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
the drive shaft is either a different size, length, or is tapered
I forget which model has which shaft, sorry :(
my opinion is they do that to keep their stuff proprietary...ie: you have to buy replacement parts from them