gas line empty

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I have a 2-stroke inframe engine. after im done riding the bike i turn off the fuel petcock and close the choke on the carb and bring it inside. The fuel line is around 1/2 full. After a day or two the fuel line is empty and there is a drop of gas under the carb near the drain screw(the screw is tight and has a red gasket). And there is gas down on my rear mount. I tightened the screws on the float bowl.
Anyone know where the gas from the line went to? did it go into my bowl and over flow? or maybe something else?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Carbs have a common ground with toilets. Both have a float and a valve the float controls. If there is no leakage thru the bowl, more than likely, the float valve (called a needle and seat sometimes) is leaking fuel into the bowl which fills until it runs up the main jet passage.
If the engine is tilted so that the fuel drips out and down- good. Better than into the engine.
I am not familiar with that exact carb, could be a bit of debris or needs a new one.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the drain screw is the lowest part, so any small leaks will gravitate to it, and give you the impression it's coming from there.

most small "leaks" are probably from the air filter sponge, which absorbs fuel, and drips out later. like any liquid, it's following the path of least resistance, and ending up dripping from your drain screw.

the fuel in your line could be getting sucked back into the tank in a siphoning or vacuum effect, or it could be dripping into the carb, where if it were enough fuel, it could leak into the air filter or into the engine.

you could sit around and have a few drinks and watch it, if you want.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
The nipple that holds the fuel line to the carb comes hand tight with my engines from the factory, check that brass nipple with a small wrench or a flat head screw driver to see if it is tight, and you could make sure the float is stopping the flow of fuel into the bowl if not it may need adjusted but be very carefull when adjusting the float plunger thing in the carb, very little adjustment is all it may need, i think there is a whole thread on this subject, Good Luck

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Professor has the answer!

If the float needle is stuck open by a hair or any other crap it will leak yeh closing the choke will do nothing as the lever slide doesnt quite seal so the fuel will still dribble out.

if ya carbs tilted down to the air filter thats where it will come out if ya carbs tilted towards the inlet thats where it will go and will fill the case up with oil

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Ive havent had a chance to work on it yet,im working on fixing a laptop right now(has broken dc jack), then i will work on bike and engine.

its only a extra computer,i have more.