My First Motorbicycle.

GoldenMotor.com

Embed

Sep 11, 2009
Michigan
This is my first bike. It's a Raleigh Retroglide with an 80cc(66cc) engine. I'm not sure on the manufacturer as I didn't build it myself. I got it from Craigslist, one of my favorite places for anything motorized. After owning this thing four just four days I already want to build a second one!

True, it's not as clean as a lot of the bikes on this forum but she runs great and is a good conversation-starter at red lights on campus (I'm a sophomore at Central Michigan University). Take a look, feedback is quite welcome. Also tips and tricks of the trade are quite helpful!

I have a few plans for it. I have a couple friends that have 70's Honda motorcycles (CB350's, RD350's, etc.) and we're always working on them so working on the engine is a big part of owning a MB for me. I want to squeeze as much power and efficiency as I can out of the engine. I was planning on getting a new exhaust with a nice expansion chamber, a performance carb with a better air filter and upgraded brakes.

I have a question in particular about brakes on my bike. If this is the wrong place I can just start a thread in the appropriate section. If I have the standard axle with no quick release, is it possible to install front disc brakes? I've read the articles presented in the safety section about the possible wheel/axle dropouts with disc brakes and they all mentioned bikes with quick release axles only, never standard axles so I don't know if it's a big deal with my bike or even if you can mount them on it.

Here are the pictures, I had trouble loading them in my introduction thread heh

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The biggest prob w/disk brake conversions is the wheelset - the hub(s) aren't set up for disk(s), combine this with a lack of mounting tabs and it starts to get real costly. I'm considering buying a Walmart bike just for the front shocks (mount tabs), wheelset, and disks. I'd still replace the calipers as I've heard horrid things about them, primarily that you cant adjust the pads and they squeal like ****. If ya wanna do that, just be sure to check head tube size and hub width.

Yet azbill's suggestion of a front drum would be the way to go for your bike, needing only to replace the spokes and re-lace the front rim (mebbe zot a tab on the forks) I think it would look sweet on yer ride and I've heard great things about their stopping power and wear rate ;) You could check springer forks, many are inexpensive and have the needed tab. (and those would look real nice on yer bike too)

Very sharp looking bike BTW, I like the classy black & white theme! The small signs of wear only means you love it and use it all the time. My bike for one is usually covered in mud lol

Last edited:

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello and welcome! If drum and or disc brakes do not happen for you there is always an option of side caliper brakes that will retro fit to your bike. from what I see in your pictures the front fork has the mounting hole and so does the cross member on the rear of the frame just below the seat. The two hand brakes can be operated by one dual cable brake lever (available on ebay) on the right side of your handlebars. Adjusted right, these brakes have good stopping ability. I purchased a set of both front and rear brakes plus cables, sold as cruiser style brake set, from bikeworldusa for approx $13.00.

Embed

Sep 11, 2009
Michigan
I didn't know there were caliper brakes compatible with my bike, could someone possibly link me to some that would fit? I thought the wheel fairings wouldn't allow me to mount them. If I do get the drum brake that you posted, Azbill, where does the tortion bar bolt into, the fork?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
embed, yes the arm comes with a clip, similar to a coaster brake clip...it goes on the large of the 2 fork legs
in the pic you can see the clip part way up on the rear fork leg :)

btw,,,their shipping is pretty good...only 17$ from houston to me (near phoenix) :)

Attachments

Last edited: