my 20 inch 1967 simpson sears bike build

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well here it is my most recent bike build.the bike frame it's self is 20 inches in size and as far as i reserched it it's dated back from 1967. Found it being thrown out in the trash and saw the potential of it so i went about restoring it as well as motorizing it.As you can see it's a real tight fit for the chris hill ch 80 motor.In the last pic i custom cut the 2 outer chain rings off so that the most inner 28 tooth sprocket would fit under the motor.tell me what you think guy's. xct2

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Here's what it look's like after the restoration and motorizing the bike was done. Yuo can see how tight the fit of the motor was ,because i had to put the carb on the out sideof the frame. The peddles are so low to the ground that they can be used as kick stands them selves.The speedometer came from an exersize bike as well as the seat. Tell me what you think because i think it's cool looking as it is to ride. .wee.

Attachments

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
looks sweet. Only things i would change would be the handle bars (ape hangers) and tires ( not so knobby red lines with a fattie out back) and a chrome half fender in the back, i think that would look really sick.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
your center pull brakes with the cable going through stem could possibly be a hazard if you dont pay attention! check always before you ride in case cable should break the brake arms release and the cable will go over the front tire causin a major endo

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Actully there filestyle1 the front breaks that you refer to as center pull are called cantilever breaks and they came off of a mtb.they are pretty good breaks overall and I always check on them after evey ride and so far so good ,but i do thank you for pointing that out though. xct2

lowbeauxxx

Aug 7, 2009
The 'Ham, Ala.
D-uh! I can't believe I didn't see the brand in the first post! Oops! Anyhoo, It's a nice motor but a bit pricier than most I have seen. I have a 20" bike, but I abandoned the project because I thought that one needed at least 26". I have another bike that will be track inspired, but if I can mod out the 20", I'd love to do that instead. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that make similarly sized motors?.wee.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very nice build. I like that a lot. At one time I had a Worksman folding bike that was really a very well made solid ride for a small bike... high rise handlebars, chrome fenders, thick spokes, etc. and an open step through type of frame which would give more room for a kit motor. I wish now that I still had it. Hmmm, I may be on the lookout for one of those.
Silverbear

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Iguess the next part i'll be needing for this bike will be a 40 tooth sproket to cut the rev's down because the 44 tooth is like running a 48 thooth in a 26" rim so hopfully the 40 tooth will be like running a 44 tooth in a 26" rim versus the 20" rim. xct2

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Iguess the next part i'll be needing for this bike will be a 40 tooth sproket to cut the rev's down because the 44 tooth is like running a 48 thooth in a 26" rim so hopfully the 40 tooth will be like running a 44 tooth in a 26" rim versus the 20" rim. xct2
Somebody else here smarter than me would know if the 40 tooth will answer your problem. I hope it does. Keep us posted on how it works out. Have you ridden it yet under motor power?
By the way, I drove through your area maybe thirty years ago when I was thinking about moving to Canada. There's a big copper mine around there if I remember right. I'm south of you in northeastern Minnesota about a hundred miles inland from Duluth which is south of Thunder Bay, Ontario. We're like neighbors... ha! I've never seen another motorized bike up this way, so you can imagine how much attention my classy old Schwinns get. That bike of yours is going to turn some heads. Good luck to you.
Silverbear

popcornsutton

Aug 9, 2009
NY
D-uh! I can't believe I didn't see the brand in the first post! Oops! Anyhoo, It's a nice motor but a bit pricier than most I have seen. I have a 20" bike, but I abandoned the project because I thought that one needed at least 26". I have another bike that will be track inspired, but if I can mod out the 20", I'd love to do that instead. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers that make similarly sized motors?.wee.
It's a chinese motor and they're all about the same size. Can be had from 1001 dealers everywhere. The CH motors are the same except he puts some upgraded guts in them.

lowbeauxxx

Aug 7, 2009
The 'Ham, Ala.
I decided to go with another bike anyway since I had begun modifying it. I figure that it would be easier to ride (waaaay more ground clearance to lean into those turns hee hee) , but thanks for the info.

Last edited: