how often do you pedal? Tips on pedaling..

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
@ diver yeah no man you come off with this attitude that you just wanna show at a party all bad as$ and then the next day you want to preach peace and community help

@bairdco good catch man i didnt even remember it was him

@ barely i also am impressed at how well some average cyclist can keep up with us for short amounts of time sometimes when i see that i almost feel like a cheater then i remember i payed for the right to cheat and pay for it almost evey day when i have to fix some little bug here or there on my bike or put my dollar in the tank

Last edited by a moderator:

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
I only pedal when I spot the cops. If they are coming from the opposite way, I let go of the gas, kill the engine, hold the clutch in and start peddling. If they are coming from behind, if I see them I do the same. If i dont see them, its only a matter of if they hear my muffler.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I do exactly as Schwinn the fox.
On another note if I see a cyclist I usually just say gday if they dont look like a goof. Today on the way to work going up the motorway I let one wind drag behind me a while I sat up with the aerodynamics of a brick wall he seemed alright but yeah after abit gave him the nod an took off.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
actually i used to tow my friend sometimes during the summer i still had the same top speed but it took longer to get there

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
its amazing how tough these little motors can be at times I pull my trailer quite regularly full of tools, case's of beer, just about anything really and like you said still gets there just takes abit longer and if ya in a hurry just peddle her up to a good speed and it will hold it there.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
My four strokes aren't very loud and when I'm on a sidewalk and a cop looks at me I start pedalling and they immediately look away. Usually I don't even kill the motor. I'm street legal so I ignore the cops when I'm riding legal. I recently joined the Cyclone Coasters who ride vintage bikes every first Sunday of the month in Long beach. A little cafe reserves a whole curb for us to display our bikes before the ride. We go 10-15 miles on a ride through town and by the Queen Mary. Between those rides and sometimes to work, I get enough pedalling.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
To peddle or not to peddle, THAT is the question!
I like to peddle as much as possible... call me strange.
I like to down shift into 2nd or 3rd as I approach a stop, the normal gear you might start off on say if you had no motor.
Then ease on to the throttle as you start peddling away from the stop, this way your working in concert with your engine.
This not only insures your not putting to much strain on the drive train but strain on you was well.
I run a Shimano 11-34 9 speed rear cassette and a SPB shift kit and crank, with a set of Kings sales, 48 tooth driven chain ring(outer) and a 38 tooth peddle chain ring(inner)
By down shifting at stops the 38 tooth peddle chain ring and my ultra granny 34 tooth rear gear provides very easy peddle power and im forced to up shift twice, usually before ive cleared the inter section!
Just taking it easy on the throttle will take a great deal of strain off the Pirate China girl 66cc with a large carb, straight shot intake, billet head and tuned pipe.
Now for the question of stealth...
Its a known fact that the scream of a hot 2 stroke "on the pipe"can be heard by the average law officer for miles!
I alleviated the situation some what by building my own stainless steel silencer that's MUCH larger and quieter than any thing we normally see.
COMMON SENSE...really helps...knowing when to "get on it" and when to peddle isn't that difficult.
A good easy to reach kill switch, that can be toggled on and off easilly helps alot in killing and restarting the engine when the coast is clear.
Critical Mass ride? here in NYC? the LAST thing id do is go near that ride, the cops are just itching to bust peoples chops, i'm not giving them an easy target.
Engine running or not, HERE, you WILL get pulled over and hassled.
I say peddle more, its good for you!
BBB

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Please link me to a thread or photo collection of your silencer muffler. I would like to know how to make one.

Don't forget the noise that comes from the intake also. A resonator box with a thick foam filter can cut a lot of noise.

epicboy

Nov 3, 2010
Agoura Hills, Ca
I can't pedal my bike to save my life - I put a 3 1/2 1 piece crank on my bike to copy the old board tracker look. If you look at the old board trackers they don't have really long crank arms. In addition, they have like 28t sprockets which i am going to buy next. So i guess what i am saying here is that - my bike isn't for pedaling - lol