stock sparkplug boot tear down

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm going to take the stock spark plug boot apart and show you boys and girls just how easy it is to take it apart and put it back together again. Almost everyone hates this thing but if you know what to look for and how it is made and is taken apart correctly you just might change your mind.
The biggest drawback I see is you have to buy spark plugs that have the removable tip so you can use it with this spark plug boot. So I'm going out in the shop with the camera and my white board and bore the $hit out of all of you.
Something to do if your plug wire will not stay in the boot or cdi is to cut off about 1/4" of the wire's end and then reinstall it screwing it, I mean turning it to the right to install
Norman

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: sparkplug boot tear down

here it is spark plug boot and plug wire I'm using a stitts copper core wire

this shot is looking down inside of the boot didn't turn out real great I wanted to show the brass center that clips into the spark plug

the plug wire unscrews to the left( got it wrong in the photo should read right hand threads) on both ends if you have some a little dielectric grease will help to stop corrosion on the ends.
same way for the CDI and spark plug boot right hand threads screws on to the right unscrews to the left. (photo is wrote wrong)

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

drawing of what is down inside of the spark plug boot this will unscrew with a flat blade screw driver warning there is a spring under it and a very small wire threaded through the brass part

the real thing with the spring see the wire clip on the brass don't loose it!

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

drawing of what it all looks like if the wire clip looses the boot will not stay on
you might be able to make a replacement out of a paper clip

picture of it all apart the part that causes most problems is that little wire clip very hard to see here it like a very small horse shoe if the horse had clod hopper feet.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

here is a g-man spark plug boot I get them from racing kart shops they do not need the screw off tip spark plug and they won't shake off or short out from getting wet

to use this you need a tool to install the plug end then spray it good with a lube like silicone spray and push it into the boot. you can get by with pliers to install the metal end on the plug wire

picture of the silicone spray slicks up the ruber parts to make them slide good luck if you don't have some although you might get by with wd-40

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

catalog for one of the kart shops that I like and you can get alot of parts in this catalog that will work on these bikes like, chains ,plugs, oil,throttle twist grip. and that is just a few. well that's it to put the spark plug boot back together again its just the opposite of taking it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.