Jockey / Suicide Shifter from grip shift

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm certain that I have read about a mount for turning a grip shifter into a jockey / suicide shifter. It mounted on the seat tube and the grip shift mounted on it. I've searched on the forum and I've come up empty. Anybody recall what I'm referring to and perhaps a link?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks BigBlue. That gets me part way. The other part is mounting it to the seat tube. Seems like there's one I could purchase. Thanks again.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
there is a thread over at rat rod bikes with a tutorial dont have the link but a search should dig it up.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
The ratrod forum threads came up first in my search and have a lot of good stuff. Thanks. I've ordered a throttle to use for the "gripshift" and I'll make the mount from a chunk of handlebar I have sitting around.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd suggest looking at handle bar extenders. They clamp on and most could probably be modified to fit a seat tube. I moved a twist shifter from the end of the bars down to the stem using one extender (they usually are sold in pairs). I shortened the tube so it just was long enough to mount the shifter and snapped in the plastic end cap that came with them for a clean look. Ive seen them in black, brushed and polished aluminum.

Norm, of Venice Motorbikes suggested using a glass door knob in place of the one that comes with the shifter. That would add an element of class. :)

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I was thinking about that. Like the type on mountain bikes correct? My seat tube is 1-1/4" diameter at the seatpost and my bars are 7/8". Do they make clamps with that big of an I.D.? Or perhaps with enough material to remove to fit?

I have been shopping on eBay for vintage shifter balls and can't make up my mind. There's the basic black which would be classic and would match the bike but then there are so many fun options.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the ratrod link! There's always a lot of interesting ideas that get posted there. The mount at Chubby's is the same one in the link I posted. They carry the same shifter too. Thanks for the second source though.