Just finished my schwinn point beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
Today, after taking my muffler to get welded, freeing up my clutch from it being frozen from the factory, purchasing an upgraded Universal Spark Plug wire from Pep Boys due to the fact I broke the factory plastic spark plug boot and trying to keep the kit looking neat on the bike...I finally completed my build. Here's a few pics of my work!

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
Here are some mods i did to my build!

IMAG0024.jpg
Here instead of depending on the pin that is keeping the throttle stationary, I drilled a hole through the throttle handle and used a machine screw to secure it in place...let's see that break off!

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg
In these two pics, you'll notice the self-tapping screws in the center of the gas tank clamps. This was the only guaranteed solution for keeping the tank in place and to prevent it from moving side to side! You'll also notice that I used two of each: nut/washer/locking washer on both the top and bottom of each of the four threaded stud from the gas tank. I also did this for the U-Bolt motor mount clamp. I like to do this so the there is no play when tightening the nuts and it serves as a preventative measure for overtightening.

IMAG0030.jpg
This is the upgraded Spark Plug wire with a flexible rubber boot (definately a plus). The wire is a lead wire which is a better conductor than the one that comes with the motor kit. With this wire, there is no need to unscrew the tip of your spark plug . Less brain damage if you decide to upgrade your spark plug later on. I was told at the auto store, that the spark plug included with the kit is in actuality a better spark plug due to the fact it has three tips. So I'm going to stick with it for now.

IMAG0031.jpg
This is the motor mount I fabricated from a thick peice of angle aluminum stock. Prior to this one, I had designed one from two blocks of Aluminum which I would call the Hercules of all motor mount clamps, but it was too large.

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
That's a truly beautiful ride congratulation's!(^) Warning these things are very addictive lol. The color scheme on that bike is perfect!

please keep an eye on the front fender tho..http://motorbicycling.com/f30/motorized-bicycle-front-fender-dangers-315.html
Thanks. I didn't like the color at first because I wanted a Solid color, but I'm starting to grow into it. Glad I switched from the Schwinn Linx Comfort Bike to this one! I didn't know the front fender was that dangerous, I'm going to have to look into securing mine a little better! Thanks for that info and link!!!

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
More pics of the front motor mount

Here are a few more pics of the front motor mount from different angles.

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

Took me about an hour to fabricate it.

jKellym

Jul 23, 2010
Houston
I had the same bike. Really nice job! I highly recommend getting a lay-back seat post, it makes the ride so much more comfortable.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hey,Mista Fyde.I did the same bike.
You can keep the fenders just strengthen the mounts.
I drilled out the rivits on the front fender and made a 16 ga tab the same as the stock tab and bolted the fender back using both tabs.
I used stainless 4mm button head cap screws with flat washers on both sides with lock washers and nyloc nuts.
I also ordered from Bicycle designer.com fender braces these are stronger than those stock one's.Did front and back.
Rear fender isn't as sketchey as there's three mounting points.I green loctited all assembled fasteners.

I did the same thing with my throttle,but I used a roll pin instead of a screw.
I also moved the shifter to the left side and bought a dual pull brake lever from Pirate Cycles and put the brake lever on the throttle side.
Nice job.Kip.
[email protected]

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
I sure do. Those fenders will definately fall off too. I hated taking them off because of how much they improve the look of the bike.

Well evidently you aren't aloud to upload the same picture in differant threads. Here is a link to the completed bike

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/bike-bogging-out-about-35-mph-24810.html
That's a pretty sweet build. I like what you did to the front fork and the exhaust system is a nice upgrade! Very nice! :) Thanks for the link to your pic too.

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
Hey,Mista Fyde.I did the same bike.
You can keep the fenders just strengthen the mounts.
I drilled out the rivits on the front fender and made a 16 ga tab the same as the stock tab and bolted the fender back using both tabs.
I used stainless 4mm button head cap screws with flat washers on both sides with lock washers and nyloc nuts.
I also ordered from Bicycle designer.com fender braces these are stronger than those stock one's.Did front and back.
Rear fender isn't as sketchey as there's three mounting points.I green loctited all assembled fasteners.

I did the same thing with my throttle,but I used a roll pin instead of a screw.
I also moved the shifter to the left side and bought a dual pull brake lever from Pirate Cycles and put the brake lever on the throttle side.
Nice job.Kip.
[email protected]
Hey Kip, Thanks for the info and advice. Do you have any links with pics of your build? I'd love to see your bike and the mods you mentioned, thanks!

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,Mista Fyde.They are in the post picture's thread,on the forth page almost on the bottom titled Blue and white schwinn.I aslo have a OP Roller build in there I think that's on the third page!
Titled Black Widow.Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
Hi,Mista Fyde.They are in the post picture's thread,on the forth page almost on the bottom titled Blue and white schwinn.I aslo have a OP Roller build in there I think that's on the third page!
Titled Black Widow.Kip.
[email protected]
Those are pretty sweet builds Kip, I like your attention to detail. Very nice bikes. I like how you sprayed the gas tank on the Schwinn to match the color of the bike. Nice work!

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Thanks,Mista Fyde!
I took the Schwinn to Big Moose Harley-Davidson in Portland, last July when
they had an open house/bike show!
Just for laughs when I rode it in I asked if I could put my bike in the show?
They said sure and showed me where to park.Had a good time all day,talking with people interested in it.
At the end of the day when they were giving out trophy's,They called me for Most nostalgic.
They gave me a tin red,white and blue Harley-Davidson number 1 sign and a gift certificate for a complete detail job worth $200.
Sold the gift cert for $50.When I got home I looked on the back of the sign and it had MADE IN CHINA printed on it!
Fun time! Kip.
[email protected]

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Suweet, love dem Point Beachs. Had one last 6K miles documented and I am guessing a few K more. Hit some pot holes bad more then once and cracked the frame. The fender, most especially the front will let go. I now just drill holes in the fenders and use Ubolts. http://motorbicycling.com/f11/fender-fortification-fun-23421.html Also if it was pre-assembled, would check every thing. The tabs on the book rack and brakes especially.

But man, they are great looking foundations for a MB. Ride safe!

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
Suweet, love dem Point Beachs. Had one last 6K miles documented and I am guessing a few K more. Hit some pot holes bad more then once and cracked the frame. The fender, most especially the front will let go. I now just drill holes in the fenders and use Ubolts. http://motorbicycling.com/f11/fender-fortification-fun-23421.html Also if it was pre-assembled, would check every thing. The tabs on the book rack and brakes especially.

But man, they are great looking foundations for a MB. Ride safe!

Thanks for the comment and I agree with you, they are pretty sweet bikes for motor kits. I like your ride, looks nice. Thanks for the info, I'll definately have to rework those fenders. Other members here just drilled out those fender tabs and used heaver L brackets. I'm thinkg about doing the same if not taking the fenders off.

Mista Fyde

Dec 15, 2010
Florida
Thanks,Mista Fyde!
I took the Schwinn to Big Moose Harley-Davidson in Portland, last July when
they had an open house/bike show!
Just for laughs when I rode it in I asked if I could put my bike in the show?
They said sure and showed me where to park.Had a good time all day,talking with people interested in it.
At the end of the day when they were giving out trophy's,They called me for Most nostalgic.
They gave me a tin red,white and blue Harley-Davidson number 1 sign and a gift certificate for a complete detail job worth $200.
Sold the gift cert for $50.When I got home I looked on the back of the sign and it had MADE IN CHINA printed on it!
Fun time! Kip.
[email protected]
That sounds awesome. Looks like you had a blast with your bike that day. That's classic with the Sign and gift. It would've been nice if someone had made a youtube vid of the event.