Is a steel lined cylinder available yet?

GoldenMotor.com

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
I just pulled the head cover off of my ebay slant head because I'm going to replace it with a verticle spark cover and saw that the cylinder lining is already grooved from engine debris. Its either the filter not doing its job or just wear particles from normal running getting into the combustion chamber and scratching the soft aluminum. Does anyone sell a 66cc jug that has a steel liner or am I just asking too much out of these HT engines? I know they will run under the most adverse circumstances but at this rate, I cant see it holding compression for too long. Thx

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Could take it to a automotive rebuilder and have a sleve put in. Coast efective???
They do it to snowmobiles.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Most small two strokes are going with chrome or naskil lined cylinders these days, not only is it "cost effective" it's lighter and helps disperse heat better than sleeved cylinders...

I've not seen a 66cc jug w/o a liner & just raw aluminum, not sayin' it doesn't exist ofc lol - but the Grubee, Flying Horse & even the "no name" I've got all had decent chrome liners - I figure ya most likely had some debris in the motor & that prolly woulda galled even the lined cylinders, if not - it woulda done a number on the piston/rings...

Got any pics of the damage? If it's light and ya clean it out yer prolly ok *shrug*

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Most small two strokes are going with chrome or naskil lined cylinders these days, not only is it "cost effective" it's lighter and helps disperse heat better than sleeved cylinders...

I've not seen a 66cc jug w/o a liner & just raw aluminum, not sayin' it doesn't exist ofc lol - but the Grubee, Flying Horse & even the "no name" I've got all had decent chrome liners - I figure ya most likely had some debris in the motor & that prolly woulda galled even the lined cylinders, if not - it woulda done a number on the piston/rings...

Got any pics of the damage? If it's light and ya clean it out yer prolly ok *shrug*
I was thinking that after post. Its been awhile for this old fart. Isent there some places that recrome?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Prolly, but given how much... er, little a HT costs - it most likely isn't worth it unless ya "know a guy" *shrug*

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
I have to say the next time I get an HT engine, that it will get a pre break in teardown and get thoroughly cleaned with compressed air because I pretty sure it was casting sand that did the damage to the cylinder. It just goes to show that you can literally run sand throught these crude engines and not even know; Engine runs fine. Steel has better heat retention and cools more evenly, nikasil pits over time because of the additives US gas...anyone remember the early 4.0 BMW V8 with nikasil liners?

handyandy91

Nov 29, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
The "Star Fire" is the onle HT motor I know of that has a steel sleeve. I got mine from bikeberry. I am mounting it this weekend. All the reviews of this motor have been awsome, some people get more than 10,000 miles on them!!! I hope I can. This is my fifth build.

Where can you get plain "dino" 2cycle oil that is not spec for a marine motor. I cant find and normal 2cycle so I used Home depot Echo 2cycle in my first two motors with no prob.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
The "Star Fire" is the onle HT motor I know of that has a steel sleeve. I got mine from bikeberry. I am mounting it this weekend. All the reviews of this motor have been awsome, some people get more than 10,000 miles on them!!! I hope I can. This is my fifth build.

Where can you get plain "dino" 2cycle oil that is not spec for a marine motor. I cant find and normal 2cycle so I used Home depot Echo 2cycle in my first two motors with no prob.
dont know if correct or not but i got a 6.4 ounce bottle by Coastal at Advance Auto Parts...black bottle red cap....