Not running too great... needs help

GoldenMotor.com

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
My Chinese 2-stroke motor runs, but not really that well. It breaks up under full throttle (as if the choke was on, but isn't), and doesn't have the power that many other riders do have with the 66/80cc engine. Most of them claim it will go 35 MPH. I have never got mine to go 35 MPH. Maybe 27 or 28. Also, it has trouble pulling me (6' 1" 160 lbs) up hills. I will get 15-17 MPH up a long, relatively steep hill.

Is there something wrong, or do I just need to get some performance parts? I'm on my 4th tank of gas, 32:1 ratio.

Any help is appreciated, like to make it a little quicker up the hills, and have it not break up under full throttle. My Stihl weedwhacker sounds like it has more power (doesn't break up at full throttle).

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i disagree with Nougat (and everyone else) that says "they should break into a four stroke when unloaded, decelerating, or at the top of the RPMs."

i've heard this said a few times, but my bikes don't 4stroke at all. not under any circumstances. and if they do, i figure out the reason.

i know this doesn't really help your problem, Zack, i'm just sayin...

with a stock kit, 30mph (+/-) is about all you're gonna get. with the stock kit sprocket, it's just not gonna go any faster, no matter what you do. i've built a few bikes with the stock sprocket and they run great, but they wind out quick.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I've got a GT2B and a GT5. The 48cc never 4 strokes and the 66cc very rarely ever 2 strokes. They aren't broken in yet but I've never gotten over 22mph out of either one of them.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Zack

My bike has been in various stages of power and all itself. I'm about 205# and live where it is quite hilly. I've ridden my bike to work a few times and there are some steep hills. My 66cc bike will pull me up the steepest at 15-17 mph and I'm pretty happy with that. On the flats going WFO I had it up to 29 a few times then it kind of settled in at 25-27 which kinda bummed me out as I was expecting it to zing up to 35 or so myself.

I don't know if I'd worry to much about getting up to that speed without getting a shift kit or doing some work on the engine or getting a different sprocket, etc.

I unfortunately haven't ridden mine in a long time as I can't get it running. After 250 miles (+/-) I can't get the dang thing started. I've tried about everything the folks here have turned me on to but still no start. :-|| I'll play with it some other time.....

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If it's an NT carburetor, all they have is an idle speed screw and an adjustable jet needle.
The main jet is replaceable too, as previously mentioned.