MB.COM average speed poll results

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello to all of you that are familiar with me, and to the large number of you who have become members since the poll was started. This site is a truly fantastic resource, and we are lucky to be a part of it. Thank you Paul, and to the many moderators and members who keep this train on the tracks. Outstanding job ladies and gentlemen.
On 14-FEB-13 I posed the question "What's your average speed?". This thread has been open for nearly two years, but the last entry was made on 9-OCT-13, so it seems to be time that we start using the information gathered.
My intention was to compile data that could be used as an average for discussions on braking, performance and the like. I'm hoping that this will start some useful discourse.
The original thread is still available for you to add to, and there's some interesting info to be had there as well.
Feel free to double check my math, I went to public skool:)

The average motorbicycling.com member rides at 27mph. The average weight on the tyres is 285lbs.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's a good idea but can you post the link for those of us who joined the forum after this poll wss taken... I'll help bump up that average and I'm sure others would be happy to contribute too if the links are essy to find.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Davezilla- I apologize, but I am unable.
In fact, I learned to use the Intra-Web just to join this site.
Enter "What's your average speed?" into the search bar, and I believe that will get you there.
If, after locating that thread, you are able to post a link, I would be grateful.

Thanks. Trey

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That engine got a LOT of port work and it's balanced dead smooth, you can ride it all day because there's zero vibration at the handlebars and seat. I've even milled both the top and bottom of the jug to true up the surfaces so I can run copper gaskets, but also to place the jug exactly where I wanted it in relation to the crank in order to get the best port timing possible.
It was actually a pleasant surprise when I took a gps along for the ride and saw the max speed reached... especially after I ordered and installed a stock NT carb because I wasn't liking the Speed carb, and the CNS I got worked great but I was tired of fixing air leaks every other ride...

I got plans for my next engine... pretty much the same type port work and balancing but I want to make one that's case inducted, reed vavled, and run a 20mm Tillotson carb. The engine could also run a lot more intake duration if a reed was added.

If I can get enough free time at the shop tho I may put the Tillotson on this engine but I'll need to make an adapter for it as well as custom linkage first.

The port duration on this engine is a bit more radical than I originally planned but I went with this jug anyway and I'm glad I did since it still accelerates very well, it just 4 strokes some on it's way up because I'm running it a little too rich, but I'll tune it better after it's broken in all the way.

I'm also thinking about going up to a 40 tooth sprocket since this engine is screaming just under 10,000 rpm at 42mph with the 44 tooth and I'd like to bring the rpm's down closer to the 6K mark at cruising speeds.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Once I retire the old Red Bat engine and get something better on it I think I can say that all my four current bikes will average 32-34 mph cruise speeds since one does this nicely and one other one cruises at 42-43mph nicely.

My goal is to have all my bike so that they cruise comfortably at a reasonable rpm @ 35 mph and then are capable of reaching on up to 40-43 mph if I need to kick it in the pants for a ways.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Trey, can also use the "poll option" As the OP, you can edit your thread. It will do some of the math for you and you have input already to narrow down the options.
Unless you are done. Just a thought.

To add a poll, click on "thread tools" above and it is an option in the drop down menu.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Cool Dan, I'll go set it up now.

{Uhhh, I entered the wrong weights, and can't figure out how to edit the poll. It also gave me the option to allow multiple answers, so I posed two
questions. Will that work?}

Last edited: