Magneto Issues

GoldenMotor.com

*M*

Jun 6, 2012
New Zealand
I was riding the other day and ran out of fuel, so pedaled home to top up. Did that then it wouldn't start so I checked for spark, none. Strange this happened after running out of fuel but probably just a coincidence.

Luckily my friend just brought the same engine so I was able to tax some of his parts to find out which component was the problem. My CDI worked on his bike so I tried his magneto in mine and it produced a healthy spark and my engine ran fine.

Back to my magneto, I tried soldering on a higher quality wire where the blue one was and checked the solder joint where the coil connects. I removed the white wire some time ago so it's not that either.

I checked around on the forum and suspect it might be something internal based on others problems, is it safe to remove the coil wrapping and if so what should I be looking for to diagnose the problem.

Cheers
Luke

*M*

Jun 6, 2012
New Zealand
Sorry I may have been unclear, with my magneto - no spark, with his magneto in my engine - sparking. So the magneto is damaged and I suspect internally as the solder points seem fine.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Sorry I may have been unclear, with my magneto - no spark, with his magneto in my engine - sparking. So the magneto is damaged and I suspect internally as the solder points seem fine.
My CDI worked on his bike so I tried his magneto in mine and it produced a healthy spark and my engine ran fine.
Cheers
Luke
If his coil in your bike will enable the engine to run, replace coil. Did you resolder the small bare wire to the metal case?

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Read through this page http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html if you haven't already, lots of helpful info there.... (whether your running a Grubee or not)
You seem to have covered the soldering checkup already, but look at what the above page shows and perhaps try again? And make sure you sand the side of the magneto where it contacts the case... I would also be curious to take some resistance measurements with a multimeter on both the working and non working magnetos to see how they compare. The obvious thing to say is "get a new magneto"....
If you find anything interesting please post about it so we can all learn from your experience....

*M*

Jun 6, 2012
New Zealand
Read through this page http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/Magneto Mystery.html if you haven't already, lots of helpful info there.... (whether your running a Grubee or not)
You seem to have covered the soldering checkup already, but look at what the above page shows and perhaps try again? And make sure you sand the side of the magneto where it contacts the case... I would also be curious to take some resistance measurements with a multimeter on both the working and non working magnetos to see how they compare. The obvious thing to say is "get a new magneto"....
If you find anything interesting please post about it so we can all learn from your experience....
Cool thanks this is the sort of thing I was looking for, new magneto is like 38$ here and as a student I'm trying to do it el cheapo if possible before ordering a new one.