My mount on honda Schwinn Meridian tricycle

GoldenMotor.com

MrMike

Oct 21, 2008
Michigan
That thouht had already crossed pop's mind also,wheel size.I could see this tricycle with 20" wheels in the back and 26" in the front be sorta kinda like a low rider or chopper trike LOL

MrMike

Oct 21, 2008
Michigan
Does anybody out there have any experience with this type motor and gear sizes on the jack shaft.This motor does run quick and I mean fast 2000 Rpm's minimum.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Does anybody out there have any experience with this type motor and gear sizes on the jack shaft.This motor does run quick and I mean fast 2000 Rpm's minimum.

Once again you need to be looking for an overall total reduction of 18.75:1 minimum, maybe even something closer to 22:1. I believe you have indicated that you have a 60t final rear driven sprocket?, and a 10t driver on your clutch?, thats only 6:1 total reduction. To get to the range you are looking for you will need the driven sprocket on your jackshaft to be in the 32t - 36t range and the secondary driver on the jackshaft to be another 10t to your rear driven 60t. A 32t gives a total reduction of 19.2:1, a 34t gives 20.4:1 and a 36 gives you 21.6:1

ocscully

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
It seems to me that a jack shaft will not be needed to power the bike when primary power will be providied by the peddles themselves. The mini-bikes and go carts of old had a centrifical clutch and a rear gear. 17-20 on the motor and a 60 tooth on the axel should be more than enough to power the bike. Peddle then throttle. This is uncharted water. We will just need to try it and see.

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
If you look at any of the kits currently being offered that drive the rear wheel using a chain or belt, they all have a total reduction in the neighbor hood of 18.5:1 or greater. Chinese 2-stroke kits 18.48:1, Chinese 4-stroke kits 18.60:1, GEBE belt drive kits both 2-stroke and 4-stroke almost 22:1 with standard 12t driver. Staton Inc.'s various kits all supplied with their 18.75:1 gearbox. Whats uncharted about any of this and why does the fact that the bike in question is a 3-wheeler make it so?

ocscully

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Let's see, to me this is a hobby. I have ideas, I try them. Will it work? don't know. If it needs a truck transmission it will get one. That's why it's a hobby. (c)

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Here's another way to think this all thru. With no reduction on your engine,a friction drive works well because that puppy is spinning alot to make just one revolution of your drive wheel. So that's the right gearing. If you were to translate that to a chain drive,your sprocket would have to be as large as your wheel. A Titan kit when set up to a 44 tooth rear sprocket at 5 to 1 reduction you'll need a 220 tooth sprocket in back.
Okay so let's cut this down.
According to Dan on the second post your gearing is 11/13/18/48.
Okay. That 48 is your axle sprocket. To make that puppy equivalent to a 220 tooth sprocket you'll need at least a 4 to 1 reduction. So change that 13 tooth to the largest sized #40 sprocket you can find for your axle I think when you search it's a 25 tooth. You may need to cut a slot on your engine mount so it would clear. Take that 13 tooth and replace that 18 tooth with it.
So what would the reduction be with buying just one sprocket?
Now we have 11/25/13/48. Better than what you have now but I'm on a Mac and I can't get that program to work. Someone chime in with that peese.
A better arrangement yet would be a 9/25/10/48 but just that one sprocket would make a difference.
Get that large sprocket first. Grainger has some with teeth as high as 70 and you can get axle shims to make the bore fit in your axle but it gets pricey.
If you can get another 48 tooth axle sprocket and shim it down to fit your jackshaft I think you about made it home. 11/48/13/48 sounds like a winner to me. 11 to 48 is a bit more than a 4 to 1 reduction.
If you change that 11 tooth to a 9 that reduction is a bit more than 5 to 1.

Looking at the pic,you won't need to modify your mount. Move your engine over the extra jack shaft length to your left and stick that large sprocket to the left of your jack shaft bearing.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Let's see, to me this is a hobby. I have ideas, I try them. Will it work? don't know. If it needs a truck transmission it will get one. That's why it's a hobby. (c)
Very true but with out the math one will just burn up parts. Thing that made the Wright brothers work, work was that they pretested it in a wind tunnel b4 committing resource or limb. (No one else thought of that b4 them) The math will only work so far but is a great first step. Then again according to the math bees can not fly. I think my point is there is no magic bullet and God bless the out side of the box. But again, you are right, Build it and see.....

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ah thanks LF. The trike is a toy right now. I agree with you. If I govern the motor to 4000 max and use the 18/60 combo no jackshaft, it should work. Not from a dead stop.
Motor assisted trike. If i pulls from a dead stop the Cops are going to be an issue. The GXH 50 should do that. I think. I understand gearing, I am going to try a diffrent angle, thats all. Remember when the Timex watch pulled a locomotive? If it needs more gears it will get them. Why spend more when I may not need to. More gears, more work.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I don't mean to rain on anyones parade here, maybe I'm missing something in all this but the ratios and #'s being discussed just don't make any sense to me. LF the Titan kit as sold by Dax has a total reduction of 20:1 (5:1 with the gearbox primary and 4:1 11t to 44t secondary = 20:1 total reduction) The 11t to 25t/13t to 48t offers a total reduction of 8.39:1 (2.27:1 primary and 3.69:1 secondary = 8.39:1) The drive train that Saddletramp has outlined 18t to 60t only offers 3.33:1 total reduction. I just don't see how you can get either of these two (8.39:1 or 3.33:1) to woek with a Honda GXH50 . Lf your discussion of the friction drive trains is accuarte because the total reduction offered by these type of drivetrains is in the range of 17.3:1 with a 1.5in dia. roller w/26in wheels to 29.7:1 with a .875in. dia. roller w/26in wheels.

Any way I know this is just #'s and math? and I hope the drive trains MrMike and Saddletramp are putting together work out for them and they enjoy their projects as much as the rest of us do our own. It just seems to me they are trying to reinvent the wheel?

ocscully

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
When I was a kid we had little money. But comming from a motorcycle family we had lots of ideas and dreams. MY Grandpa,Dad,Uncle rode Harleys & Indians. "rich" folks had cars. Grandpa's bike had a sidecar. We all lived in a huge house in Bakersfield, Ca. The expression "ride to live" was very real for us. Got to get to work. Anyhoo, Most of their ideas came from the garage powered mostly by Budwiser. They all could weld. Make a frame, put a worn out edger motor on it and the kids had something to play with. Tiny go cart wheels. The little things were real fast. The Mini bike was born! Centrifical clutch and a big back sprocket and it would go 30 mph i guess. Governed way down for us kids. 10mph or so. know this will work. The cool thing is all the fancy math, engineering and other stuff don't change the fact it worked then, and it will work now. May take some trial & error, but that's half the fun!
One of the greatest joys I have in life is when someone tells me I can't do something.(^)

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
ocscully my ratio on Cronus is actually greater for the Titan kits use 10 tooth sprockets not 11 and I like to run a 48 tooth on mine.
The trike when I get my 3 speed figured out I calculate that my 2nd gear would be very close to the ratio I have with Cronus which would be my epic win.

MrMike

Oct 21, 2008
Michigan
Well guys I believe I had found the solution for my honda GXH50 motor on my trike.The GXH 50 Honda motors RPM's is 2500 at the min according to the engine specs and I have a max torque clutch that engages at 2200 RPM,s.So this is what I'ma gonna do.I'm going to go from the 11 tooth clutch to a 60 tooth jackshaft gear which I will need to have fabicated.Then off the 13 tooth jackshaft gear down to my 60 tooth axle gear.This according to the jackshaft gear ratio MPH calculator will give me a final gear ratio of 25:1 and at 7000 RPM's this will give me a top speed of 21 MPH.I finally have it right I been mulling my brain off and on over this for a while now and finally decided to play with different gear configs and thats what I came up with ,so don''t need no gear box.I got to get a cluth ,I think I can manipulate the idle to make it slower I hope so.

Last edited:

tominrexmont

Aug 24, 2010
s.e. pa. usa
ocscully i have to agree with you no need to reinvent wheel ,math is important as skill when it comes to building .i myself got a bike just like this so the tread was informative i intend on this kind of design to but i"m using a overrunning clutch on the jack shaft output .have fun guys and keep your front wheel down .:)