Are Gopeders welcome here?

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
I'm not a MBer, but more of the Red Headed Stepchild no-one talks about that lives in the Attic room.

Just wondering of mini-scooter fellas are welcome here.

I'm in the process of getting a 4-stroke "goped" (Chinese knock-off). These are street legal in my State and also Town (one's Town has the final word in my state - there are other Towns that have made them illegal) - as long as you ride on 25 mph posted streets and residential streets only, and 35cc or less. I not clear on bike trails yet.

I know in my state Motorized Pedicycles are similar in restriction (49 cc or less), but are allowed to travel on 30 mph posted roads also.

In addition to simply riding the thing out of the box - my Town's website has listed city ordinances (restrictions above and beyond the State ones) for adding Headlight, Tailight, Speedometer, and 2 Mirrors (I added the need for a Horn)................I'm in the process of buying these items and the motorized scooter to comply with my State's Laws, and ride free of insurance, registration, age (no age mandate!! lol - I'm several decades from 6yrs old though ;-/, or drivers license.

Nearly the whole town is made up of slow roads - 4 miles up-down and across, so such a vehicle would be practical and cheap here.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

Take a tour of this site and you'll all kinds of motorized 2 and 3 wheelers.

Norman, Norman in OK?

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Welcome to the forum! We've got all kinds here. I've seen some wild stuff in these threads. I ride bicycles with chainsaw, whose drive system is very similar to yours. You'll fit in just fine.

r.ly.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Thanks for the Welcome Gentlemen. Ya I ran across some Savanna GA bicycle shop which will be/or is? selling Trikes with 49cc in em - they look like they are straight out of the 1900s with top speed of 23 mph!! - 1200 bucks seems reasonable for such a unique item (but I'm kinda weird that way - like stuff a lot of folks don't care about, and vise versa - lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogV9gR10B1E

Yep, Norman Okie-home. 104,000 to date. kinda small town, but close to "the city" (really a part of it today - absorbed literally) to go/get what you want/need 20 miles North.

this is what I'm in the process of buying (he ran out of stock - new ones expected May 13th)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbGIJOrTisA

bought the lights/mirrors/trunk and front basket/ and bike speedo (will have to learn how to fit it to the scooter)

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Speedometer fitting is usually pretty painless. Just zip tie the receiver onto the front fork wherever you have room, and attach the magnet on the spokes accordingly. Make sure the isn't too much space between the magnet and relay, or it won't read properly. Then, you can put the display wherever you like.
There are sometimes interference issues with the wireless models, but this varies from bike to bike.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hello gaffo and welcome, great to have you with us. everyone is welcome, if it has wheels we like it :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Gopeds and motorized bikes share a lot of technology, like engines; and problems, like adapting to local traffic laws. I am very happy to see a goped guy on this site and welcome more. Though you are piloting a goped, I think it is still appropriate for you to post in subforums on this site about 2 strokes engines, 4 stroke engines, clutches and drivetrain, etc and other mechanical specifics where we can share problems, solutions and innovations.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Howdy & welcome!!

Take a tour of this site and you'll all kinds of motorized 2 and 3 wheelers.

Norman, Norman in OK?
Hi again Xseler - FYI, I was "interviewed" standing in front of Capital yesterday by KFOR about the Capital Building falling apart - got on the 10 o'chock news and I'm on K-FOR's local news website under that story if your interested in a "look-see".

see ya.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
I have a very good friend, more like a brother to me, that lives in Norman.
Gopeds are welcome here. A few folks here ride them and a few pop up now and then but they are not discussed much.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Thanks Gear, my "goped" showed up a couple of days ago. I assembled it (build quality seems decent - being Chinese and all - I'm pleased with that aspect. Not primed it yet to see it she will start - so knock on wood there.

I've added so much acutriments(sp) - many bike bags, Metal Basket, cup holder, electic horn, motorcycle plate..etc. have an windshield (not installed yet - I'll have to figure this one out in order to make it fit. And my scooter mirrors I've yet to attach (have to tap and make thread in the handlebars first - never done this so a little apprehensive and don't want to rush that and screw it up (figurately and literally ;-)...........).

Will all this "stuff" on her she looks less like a "goped" and more like a real scooter.

Prob take me another 2-weeks to get the last two items no her and try to start her for a test run.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
does your Norman friend ride a MB? - if so I'll look out for him, and give him your regards it I see him.