Engine mounting and chain alignment

GoldenMotor.com

BloodOfAnAkrobat

Apr 30, 2011
Chicago
Does anyone have any ideas for motor mounts that slip? After I ride for a little bit the engine pulls over to the left side of the bike from all the torque. Once it gets far enough off center the chain derails.

I have thought about drilling and bolting through the frame of the bike, but am afraid that if i need to move it in the future i might end up with a bunch of unnecessary holes in my frame.

Another part of the problem might be the hard rubber hose that i used in the existing mounts for vibration dampening. I do have new mounts from SBP that should get here today and Ill give those a try.

This is really the only reoccurring problem i have. I have yet to have had a ride that didn't end in my chain derailing and f-ing things up so i appreciate any responses

thanks

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Nix the rubber in the mounts. The motor needs to be mounted solid.

I concur!... no rubber mounts!

Also... if the rear mount is a little bigger than the frame tube?, you can make a shim from some electrical conduit to fit between the mount & the frame to make it fit better! ;)
Here's a pic...

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The only mount I have found that works for me is the bolt through the frame as tight as possible with red loctite, better to have to maybe replace a bolt than have the motor get loose!

nvmextc

Dec 10, 2010
Sydney
I know some people might not like this but I didn't have an adapter for a thick tube and had to squash my frame a bit to mount the engine, the shape of the frame is perfect to stop the engine from pulling. Have been riding on and off road for 6 months without a trouble.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
your motor may have come with an extra mount, mine did. its a bit different then the one in venices pic, mine was shinier, definitely made of a different metal. it was similar shape, but being of a different metal allowed it to flex, letting me contour to to my frame better by tightening up on it (careful not to over tighten one side and strip something out), it allowed me to get a pretty darn perfect fit with out conduit piping.