Gas tank mounting

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Coushined double sided tape will help keep the tank in position without the need to super-torque those little 5mm studs. Clean the top tube and the saddle of the tank so there's no oil or grease and stick it down before installing the clamps and nuts. If you ever need to remove the tank there are lots of adhesive removers that will dissolve the adhesive of the tape without damaging the paint.
Caution: Make sure the tank is in the right position before sticking it to the tape.

Some guys will suggest cutting and old inner tube and wrapping the top tube. That will help but doesn't really hold the tank as well as the tape will.
Tom

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You can mount it to the luggage rack in the back with the original stud bolts and custom brackets.

I'm not sure what you're asking for - unless you have access to a welder, you're not going to find a way to alternatively mount the tank. If you do, then just trial and error to find something.

EDIT ADD :

I just thought of something though.

Simiilar to how the clamshell sprocket adapter works, you could get a two part sleeve to bolt around the head tube with guide holes for the gas tank stud bolts. It would allow you to have a good solid connection without so much tension on the bolts. But, that means jigs have to be made, materials have to be acquired, and machines have to be used. Which, I have none of - so someone else is going to have to get on it - there could be some money to be made if it works - Pablo? :D

Last edited:

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
I also use a piece of innertube. I just stopped at a local tire shop and they gave me one they were gonna throw away anyways.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Unfortunately Fish - I don't think people understand what you're asking.

Inner tube is used for when your tank repeatedly slips, or if you have problems with part of the bike burning holes through your tank. It goes between the tank and the frame.

I know what you're saying - you have to torque the bolts from the tank down so hard you're cracking the stud bolts that are welded to the tank and you don't want to use the brackets.

Try going to a machine shop. See what it'd cost to have some sheet metal brackets bent and drilled for the studs to make a custom fit to your frame. Shouldn't be much at all. Then, take sliced inner tube and put it between the tank and your frame so you have some compression room and a nonslick surface - but not so many layers that you're needing to overtighten the crap out of it.

And, as I said - get a luggage rack that goes over the back wheel. Get a drill bit, punch out 4 holes for your tank and put the tank on backwards so the petcock is pointed towards the motor. Ouila. Your tank is behind you and still above the carb for the gravity feed. Those luggage racks, if you don't have one, run 15-20 bucks at walmart, and the drilling is super easy.