Back Wheel Spins no matter what whether clutch is in or out

GoldenMotor.com

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
No matter whether I have the clutch pressed in or not the the chain still spins. It is my understanding that the wheel should spin with the clutch pressed in and the back wheel should not spin when the clutch is not pressed in. I am completely confused on this one. It actually cranked up twice and ran perfectly when it was running but now the back wheel doesn't lock up like it is supposed to. I have tried tightening the chain, tightening the clutch, loosened the clutch. I just don't know what to do.

Please let me know what could possibly fix this as I am very eager to get this back on the road since I just got it built and then it messed up on me. It was frustrating to say the least lol.

Thank you!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
How did you get it started if the clutch isn't working?
When the clutch lever is pulled in the back wheel should free wheel, or not make the engine turn. If the engine is running and the clutch lever is pulled in then no power will be transmitted to the rear wheel.
If the clutch lever is let out then you should have the engines power transmitted to the rear
wheel.
If your having problems look at the clutch posts on here in norms 2 stroke repair center. there is around 3 to 4 clutch related posts and some clutch info in some of the other sticky posts like the engine tear down. Look them over they should help you with your problem. If not then I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
It sounds like you just need to clean and adjust your clutch.
Could be you need to adjust the star nut to the right a couple of flats.
You might want to disassemble the clutch make sure all the pads are in place and not greased up.
or worn out.
the clutch is designed and to be either in or out its not designed to be slipped like a motorcycle.
A lot of people try and take off by slipping the clutch which will burn these things out quickly.
You need to pedal then release the clutch.

catamount

Mar 17, 2010
NC
Thats the thing it was working fine for about an hour. During that hour the motor started up twice and now it will not do so. Now when I let the clutch out to turn the engine on the chain just keeps spinning as if the clutch was pulled in with a slight bit more resistance. I tried loosening the clutch cable but that didn't work. How would I go about cleaning and adjusting the clutch if that is the problem

"Could be you need to adjust the star nut to the right a couple of flats."
-What does this mean?
"You might want to disassemble the clutch make sure all the pads are in place and not greased up.
or worn out."
-How should I go about doing this?
the clutch is designed and to be either in or out its not designed to be slipped like a motorcycle.
"A lot of people try and take off by slipping the clutch which will burn these things out quickly.
You need to pedal then release the clutch."
-If this is the case what do I need to do to fix it?