Acceptable Chain Slack

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey ya'lls,
I recently ( today )....adjusted my chain tensioner......I've just done this twice in 2000 miles....and found slack in the chain ( about an inch ).....what is an acceptable amount of slack in our chains?....I still went out for a ride today ( Classic Florida Day )....no issues....blazes as always......but I'd like to know if I'm flirting with disaster with an inch of slack.....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
depends on how well it's aligned. i just rode my new bike for about an hour and ahalf with over an inch of slack, with no problems except for a dirty tire.

and vistaman, yes. too tight of a chain will wear sprockets faster, wear the chain faster, and worse case, yet commom scenario, is it puts pressure on your motor mounts and can yank your engine right off the frame.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
depends on how well it's aligned. i just rode my new bike for about an hour and ahalf with over an inch of slack, with no problems except for a dirty tire.

and vistaman, yes. too tight of a chain will wear sprockets faster, wear the chain faster, and worse case, yet commom scenario, is it puts pressure on your motor mounts and can yank your engine right off the frame.
Okay....so I seem to be okay....for now....regarding however too tight.....my primary chain ( the one that actually gets pedaled ) is tight as a drum...but since it rarely gets used anyways.....is this cause for concern ?

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
less concern because it's less dangerous, but it'll still wear faster. and a too tight chain can jump the sprockets too, because it doesn't have any play, there's no room for error. it's easier to break a chain when it's too tight, also.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. You need to rotate the wheel a little and check the chain tension. Rotate the wheel a little and check for tension. Keep doing this until you find the tightest part of your chain. When found, Stop and make chain tension adjustment at this point. This is the only way to do it without causing damage to your motor and other parts. An over tight Chain can damage a motor and other parts. Once you have found the tightest part of the chain, you really only need to make sure that at this point, it is not tight and there is some slack, no matter how slight, as long as there is some up and down slack. 1/4 inch would be fine. 1/8 inch would be fine. As long as there is some, no matter how slight. The Key is finding the tightest part of the chain, then make the adjustment. Enjoy the ride... :)

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Dax,
So far this has been the most informative...I am not discounting the other replies at all as all we're informative but yours was the most elaborate....much obliged sir....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.