My Schwinn cruiser mount.

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I just wanted to share the mounting I used on my Schwinn crusier, maybe the pic will help someone "git 'er done".. like so many of the pics helped me.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nice job Nomad. Very clean. I always have trouble keeping the bike chain guard. I was thinking a block of wood or rubber on the rear mount between the engine and the spacer/half moon thing that holds the back str8. Yours looks better. Thanks!

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Dan, thanks, I originally had tire tube pieces insulating the mounts but they allowed the engine to move rt/left and "wallow" in the mounts so I removed the rubber and mounted "hard" to the frame.. a little more vibration, but that engine is really solid on there, and NO movement...

General Disarray

Mar 15, 2008
Was the front tube narrow enough for the mounting bolts to go around without bending them? I have a Schwinn Jaguar with a wide front tube.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Was the front tube narrow enough for the mounting bolts to go around without bending them? I have a Schwinn Jaguar with a wide front tube.
Hi General, yes the front tube is the same as the rear tube and the fit is exact... I looked at the Jaguar also and realized that the front would present a challeng to get a secure fit, I would NOT use a single bolt in a drilled hole in the front tube.... there are other large tube adapters available from BGF on ebay.....

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Nomad I am building a Schwinn Point Beach today. How long are your front mounting bolts? How did you secure the back mounts? Pics? Your ride Rocks . Tramp

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks Tramp, I got the studs/bolts from Ace Hardware. they are 3 7/8" long. The studs you see in the pic are just straight stud stock, today I was in Ace and picked up some grade 8.8 bolts which are equal to about SAE 5, I believe this is adequate for mounting engine since the SAE 8 are more brittle and may "shear" with less force than the SAE 5.. If there are any engineer types out there please chime in if my info is incorrect of if you have another opinion.. Tramp the pic is also of a "pillow block" stamping I got from Tractor Supply I bet this will come in handy with that Point Beach with some heavy rubber sheet in between the frame and the block.. ... I will cut the heads off the bolts and install them I think the studs are SAE 5 but not sure...the rear studs are the same length and I bolted the rear mount flush with the rear downtube I did not cut them off.. I will post pics tomorrow of rear mount... ride safe... enjoy...

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Oh thanks SO much for the advice! Will make a better cleaner looking bike. This is what our forum is about, Bikers helping each other! Thanks again, Mark M&S Cycles

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
that looks great...how is this holding up...did you retap the mount bolts...also grade 8s going into the casing might not be the answer...chinese metal isnt to good...let me know how things work out...thanks for the pics

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Thanks drhofferber,it's holding up perfect so far, I did not retap the studs I used are M6x1.00...... they are approx.. sae 5... not as brittle/hard as the sae 8....

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks drhofferber,it's holding up perfect so far, I did not retap the studs I used are M6x1.00...... they are approx.. sae 5... not as brittle/hard as the sae 8....
thanks...i have one more ???Ha...i'm building a new bike...v frame aluminum...triple butted gary fisher...the large tube is 1.7 radius...the seat tube is 1.375 radius...i seen your pic on the pillow block stamps...great pic...but i need them bigger...checked out grainger, etc., cannt find them...do you have anything in your arsenial that might help me...thank you...dennis

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
Dennis, I have a Gary Fisher too, it's a Kaitai,,,, I tried this mount for fit on it and it looks good ... haven't built it yet.... Tractor supply also has these "clamp blocks" in larger sizes also.....

For Tramp.. hers is a pic of the rear mount... I have since removed the rubber insert between frame and mount...

Bob

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
With all the intrest in the mounts I have asked a friend to help me. He said Tig, Mig, Plasma, And I said No thanks on the Plasma, I gave already, rotfl We are working on a standard mount for the "Crusiers Everyone" can afford! Please give me a little time. Tramp (c)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
With all the intrest in the mounts I have asked a friend to help me. He said Tig, Mig, Plasma, And I said No thanks on the Plasma, I gave already, rotfl We are working on a standard mount for the "Crusiers Everyone" can afford! Please give me a little time. Tramp (c)
You rock TrampSir