has anyone tried to remove catalatic converter

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
some of them slide out, other's you have to rip them out, still others are pretty much stuck in there. you need to break the tack welds off the baffles on some and pull the inner pipe out to get to it.

if you gut your muffler, it's gonna be a LOT louder.

i think the cat is a joke. i can't really see some crappy mesh stuff cutting down on emissions, especially if you're using regular two stroke oil and smoking all over the place anyway.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
how much louder i want quieter but someone told me today to buy a muffler without it in it its robbing me of hp but its like 40 bucks shipped if i can rip out the one i have someway ill save money

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
well, to get to the cat you usually have to rip everything else out, and most times it doesn't go back together. so you end up with a hollow pipe.

it's about 5-10 times louder with an open pipe. as in, it's very very loud.

if you could put the baffles back in somehow it'd probably be about the same noise level.

it's not robbling you of much HP, as long as it's not clogged up.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
i know i cut the converters off our cars so they run better i didn't think it would make much difference on this little engine bet he says it it and my motor is suppose to be one of the best a sky hawk yet about 25mph is tops on flat ground

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
if it's a new motor that hasn't been broken in all the way with the stock kit sprocket, 25 is about right. after break-in, you'll get about 30.

removing the cat won't do much, you probably won't even notice any better performance (again, unless it's clogged, but you'd know if it was, 'cause your bike would barely run.)

a smaller rear sprocket will get you a faster top speed, but you'll have to sacrifice the low end, and slower up hills.

all depends on what you're going for.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
nope too many hills here that's why i need more power and it wont get me up the smallest incline im almost done with the break in gallon it is leaking oil out the muffler already

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
i just cant see throwing 70 bucks on a disposable motor i payed 200 for mine but dang i could get one for 100 bucks on eBay and the shift kit is twice what the motor is

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i use opti2 at 100:1 mix.

it should be typical to get a lot of miles out of one of these engines, but without trying to sound offensive, most breakdowns and problems are due to "operator error."

most experienced builders get a lot of miles because they know what to expect and how to fix the basic problems. but what i call "basic," other's may call "time to get a new motor." i had to replace the left side of the case on mine after the chain snapped, whipped around, and broke my rear mounting studs and cracked the case.

wasn't the motor's fault, though, just the cheap chain.

it's all here on the forums.

there are some "dud" motors out there, though. but i've never had one.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
i wanted to try opti as im a nurse and i could fill a syringe with the oil needed for 1/2 gallon and tape a couple under the tank, but i cant find it anywhere around me in mission ks. so are you saying the sbp chamber is worth the money for this kit? its the groobie skyhawk 5g cent clutch pull start bought from kings my next build will have the new dax 4 hp 2 stroke mounted in frame some how

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
call opti2 and they'll find a dealer in your area.

i've personally never tried SBP's expansion chamber, but everyone who has one likes it, and it looks like a quality part from a quality company. and if you price expansion chambers for dirtbikes or any other vehicle, it's a helluva bargain.

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
i did they gave me a store that's 25 miles away, way too far for me to make a trip on my gas bike i think i may be sold on the expansion chamber as i have long steep hills i have to walk it up but as it sets i cant get up small steep hills without pedal assist it 5 mph in the videos on here mine doesn't rev up near what there's do mine sounds like a 4 stroke compared to theirs i have an old adjustable carb i traded for my new un adjustable cns carb for hopefully that helps

DanielMaia

Jun 24, 2009
Portugal
Once, with the vibration, the end of exhaust has fall off, it was loud...BUT, the gains at low RPM are really great! If i push to fast the throttle, and push little back... --> .wee.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
i did they gave me a store that's 25 miles away, way too far for me to make a trip on my gas bike i think i may be sold on the expansion chamber as i have long steep hills i have to walk it up but as it sets i cant get up small steep hills without pedal assist it 5 mph in the videos on here mine doesn't rev up near what there's do mine sounds like a 4 stroke compared to theirs i have an old adjustable carb i traded for my new un adjustable cns carb for hopefully that helps
what oil mix are you running? where is the needle on the carb set to?

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Skarrd I like your avatar, I guess that engine has invisible transfer ports??? laff And from what Adam is saying, it sounds like he's running rich, low power on hills, oil dripping out muffler, etc. I reccomend getting a new NGK spark plug too, that might help things out a little. ;) Good luck!

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Skarrd I like your avatar, I guess that engine has invisible transfer ports??? laff And from what Adam is saying, it sounds like he's running rich, low power on hills, oil dripping out muffler, etc. I reccomend getting a new NGK spark plug too, that might help things out a little. ;) Good luck!
nope they're there. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/023/4/2/2_stroke_animation_by_thunderstorm996-d37x38d.gif

only for 1 frame though... the bottom one can be seen just above the crank, but the cylinder one is only there for one frame.

/threadjack ;)