Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information.

Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information. Before you mount that engine to your bicycle frame, you'll want to know if the bike is ready for the engine! Ask our experts here for advice on what will perform well.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Staff

Default Re: Bicycle review

Great review Tom. I had been considering a Jag sence seeing your build. Thanks!

Last edited by Dan; 06-10-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

SCHWINN SKYLINER:

Apparently there are different models of this bike. Mine says 'Comfort Geometry' on the semi triangular crotch tube. Bought two on sale at Wallyworld for $139.00 each.
Beware the differences!

PROS:
A handsome bike in gold and cream, and in a silvery blue. 21 speed wallclimber as mentioned. Brought a Skyhawk GT4 from USABikeMotors to the store to check on fit. The flattened egg shaped down tube fit surprisingly well, as did the near fit on the seat tube despite a bit more angle than I like. Wish I had left the carb on to assure a complete fit. The extra mount and long studs from USA snugged it up well, with cut up inner tube glued to mounts. Smooth shifting, good brakes, steel frame, great price, and a front suspension sealed the deal.

CONS:
Not enough room for a standard carb mount. Took Ghost's advice and added a copper 'L' fitting to accomodate a side mount. Except for a bit rocky in the bottom end, a sweet running machine that wants the higher RPMs. Gas tank was a pain, but attached well with painted and inner tube lined pipe hangers from the hardware store. Also had to use a large hose clamp for the ignition on the down tube to hold it still. Handlebars are a bit crowded, but the style suits the riding posture I like. Still enough space for an electronic speedo and smaller LED lamp. The seat works for my snake hips, but larger riders might want a comfort saddle. Should also fit taller riders well.
Have since added a rack, saddlebags, and a round seat bag for tools.
Turns heads wherever I go. Might have to build the other, as I sold it today.

Jaguars will be my next builds for waiting customers, and hoping Manic Mechanic will have mounts ready soon. SBP has told me they are also developing a larger size to add to their mount menu. Look forward to seeing these very helpful products on their websites yesterday.

Also hoping to see a review for the Greenlines at BikeBuyersCompany. Good prices including shipping.
As usual, motor mounts are my largest concern.

I hope this very useful thread will continue to attract reviewers.

Tom Hill
'DUBS'

HELP!! Tried to include photos, but it says the size is wrong and I must adjust it manually.
Don't know how! Damn!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Staff

Green Kulana Walmart

Pros, cheap at $114. Big 'ol fat white walls. great every thing for an economy bike. Heavy steel frame and angles fit a china girl nice and same engine on a point beach vibrates a lot more. Fenders are made and mounted well.

cons Only real bummer about this bike is it is tiny! Not worth putting a motor on it if you are taller the 4foot8 or do not want to put a bent seat post. Added the 2Door, soon to be patented solid bent seat post. (I like to call it the "way back Machine" Sherman) The derailer is cheap but so is the bike.

Edit; After installing a bent seat post, bike is near perfect

I would highly recommend it. Can't beat the price for such a sturdy lil bike and mounts a china girl really well (after erasing 3 jokes, I digress)((one of 'em was good too))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11MD.jpg (135.0 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg 11MD1.jpg (119.0 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg solor light 018.jpg (4.1 KB, 1429 views)

Last edited by Dan; 06-10-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Bent seat post
Old 04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Dan,
I almost want one just for those swoopy/curvy cantilever bars. They seem to be begging for a custom built tank. Not wild about the color but that's what rattle cans and powder coat is for. I think it would look great in a two tone, dark green and beige paint scheme. Might have to beg Char for one, but I'm running out of garage space.
Tom

Last edited by 2door; 04-28-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2door View Post
Dan,
I almost want one just for those swoopy/curvy cantilever bars. They seem to be begging for a custom built tank. Not wild about the color but that's what rattle cans and powder coat is for. I think it would look great in a two tone, dark green and beige paint scheme. Might have to beg Char for one, but I'm running out of garage space.
Tom
That's a cool thought about the tank. Gonna have to thunk on that.

I agree, color sux. Carol calls that one the "electric avocado"

I forgot to mention the handle bars got pitted with rust after one winter in a shed. No light in there and I didn't notice in time.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Staff

Ya know Tom, looking at the pics again would look awesome with a inframe tank. Gonna measure and see if I can fit a Honda in there.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Ya know Tom, looking at the pics again would look awesome with a inframe tank. Gonna measure and see if I can fit a Honda in there.
Dan,
I had initially thought of trying it with the Jag but I didn't want to break off those nifty little cable holders welded under the cross bar and I got in a hurry to ride the danged thing. I can weld sheetmetal and fabricating a tank wouldn't be too hard. That Moon Dog would be perfect for a swoopy/curvy tank to match the contours of the frame. A chunk of wood, a body hammer and a couple of dollys and some sheetmetal, a few hours of labor and...oh my...I want a Dog.
Tom
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Staff

LOL, snork snork.

I really would like to do custom tanks. Would this one work? (is to cheap so dunno) - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices or this? - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Hmmmm, costom mounts 2
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Dan;
Are you saying the 'Moondog' is back at Wallyworld, or is your bike an older one?
Thought they had discontinued that popular model.
I bought one at a yard sale with the nubbies still on the tires.
Been thinking the same thing about an in-frame tank.
Care to make two?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Staff

Dang HOB, just saw on link "not available" Yes, mine is about 2 years old. Sure about the tank. Gonna take me a while though. Have to learn how to weld, snork. Was thinking simple, flat sided. I am sure I will have to make a bunch of scrap before getting one right but thats half the fun.

That's a shame about the Moondogs. With the bent seat post, really is a great MB.