Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes

Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Motorize a full suspension mountain bike to get a smother ride or for a little more speed try motorized road bicycles. This section is for sharing ideas on motorizing your mountain and road bikes.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:15 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 212cc build!

Na, there won't be any breaking news about this bike, the way it is now it doesn't have enough power to move.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Thanks for the replys everyone. I have ordered a jackshaft so solve the gearing issue. As for the frame, I'll get a new one. I knew cutting the frame was risky but I didn't think it would be as big of a deal as everyone is saying it is. I definitely screwed myself over but oh well, its a learning experience! It'll be awhile before I can afford a new frame, this bike will be stuck in a garage for the winter so I'll have time to fix my wrongs before I have the opportunity to ride it.

Any good frame recommendations?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Older models of the Trek 820. My 79cc bike is an 21" 820 from the late 80s, and there would be plenty of room for the 212 as well.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:09 PM

The bike will be fine as a bicycle, and probably fine with a China girl, but DEFINITELY not a predator
Old 12-13-2016, 12:17 AM

Im not gonna discourage you and I'm probably gonna get hammered for it. If you sure up your frame you can still make it work, how is your welding, can you tig? Do you got a mig? Remember alot of the people discouraging you can't do either��. I'm a mechanic but I can weld. I'm not the prettiest but I can garrunty a solid weld.everything and anything is save able. Now for the double wall rims, you might be alright, the amount of tire you got should be plenty to protect the rim. Dude don't get discouraged, don't get hurt, and have fun. Screw everyone telling you that you can't do this!!!! I'm an ******* for leaving you discouraging word myself and for that I'm sorry, and so should everyone else. Ride fast take chances!!!! But be careful!!!!

Last edited by Seabass; 12-13-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 AM

I'm agreeing with Seabass. Take it to a welding shop,they can fix it. I would have them bend me a new downtube that would accommodate the engine lower. What discouraged me on fat wheels, are those, cotton picking thin a** spokes! If your frame is alum. Disregard the above. Make it work.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:34 PM

Take one of the tires off and see if they are double wall rims. If they are then you can rebuild them into heavy duty wheels. If they are single walls then I dunno.

I'm guessing your mods will let it spin 7k, so with that in mind you wanna run an overall ratio of around 8.5 to 9 (those of us with stock motors run a 7.5:1 to go 55).

If ya still wanna run fat I'd either brace the **** outta that frame and stand the motor straight up, or get a new frame and lop off the rear triangle and weld the fat rear to the new one. Then get fat double wall rims from one of the many suppliers and build up with some 12g spokes. Be a bada$$ build.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:25 PM

Bump!!!! Just wondering what you've been doing with this???
Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 AM

in regards to rims only use the best double wall rims you can get my electric mid-drive ripped a single wall rim apart (pulled the 12g spokes threw the spoke holes) i the went to a double wall it was good, lasted 7000km (4349miles)

before i found every spoke hole cracked either side of the spoke holes .5' long
i've since changed to a rim that has double eyelets

1st rim as seen in pic 1. 2nd rim as seen in pic 3 3rd rim as seen in pic 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Touring-Rim-Cross-Sections.jpg (50.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoh View Post
in regards to rims only use the best double wall rims you can get my electric mid-drive ripped a single wall rim apart (pulled the 12g spokes threw the spoke holes) i the went to a double wall it was good, lasted 7000km (4349miles)

before i found every spoke hole cracked either side of the spoke holes .5' long
i've since changed to a rim that has double eyelets

1st rim as seen in pic 1. 2nd rim as seen in pic 3 3rd rim as seen in pic 5
I have a pair of good double walls made by Vitesse that hasn't given me any problems at all. i have a 66cc china girl driving the rear one, and even with damn near disconnected spokes (several more than two or three i might add) it never went out of true. single eyelets, 16ga spokes, and 32mm valve stems, so about a 13mm deep double wall rim. this is, of course, a 700c rim, so a 26x4.25 rim is going to need a bit more, but vitesse won't steer you wrong if you can find that size.

Tags
212cc, 4 stroke, fattire, motorbike, predator