Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information.

Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information. Before you mount that engine to your bicycle frame, you'll want to know if the bike is ready for the engine! Ask our experts here for advice on what will perform well.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Folding Bicycle Advice Wanted

Hi,

I have a 7 speed Dahon with 16" wheels that I pedal around. I was thinking of motorizing it to get more range and found the forum.

I read some threads and found someone who said that a 20" folder was squirrely and that larger wheels were advised. If true, it's a bad idea to try to motorize the 16" Dahon.

I'd still like to end up with a motorized folding bike. I like the folding aspect because I can put it in my VW Bus without it taking up lots of space.

All advice is appreciated. I'm sure I don't know all the questions to ask but here's a start:

1. What folding bike would you recommend I start with? I'd like multiple gears for pedaling and decent quality. (Dahon is made in Taiwan but has been pretty solid, but new ones are spendy...)

2. What engine? I was thinking about one of the 1.6hp Honda 4 strokes. That should be enough to push me 20-25, I wouldn't need to carry two stroke oil and a 4-stroke honda should be reliable and economical.

3. How to mount? From the threads I found, it looks like a chain drive system with engine mounted on the rear or friction drive is the way to go to still allow the bike to fold. I would like to have the ability to pedal with the engine disconnected.

Thanks much!

Mark
Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Folding Bicycle Advice Wanted

Check 'Staton inc. They have rack mount friction drive, which would be very controllable.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks, I have been looking at their site. Another thread mentioned that their chain-drive system would allow the bike to still fold.

Any thoughts on wheel size and what bike to use if I shouldn't use my existing Dahon?

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 11-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Never tried a folding bike, make sure you post some pics. Now I've had a few busses, what you driving? I've had a 79 sun roof and a 78 westy. I even got the fuel injection working on the 78. The 79 no because I got it cheap after it caught fire.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

My bus is a 78 Sunroof, but extensively modified (97 Passat TDI Engine) - I have a thread on TDIClub.com if you're curious. It took a while to work out all of the bugs but it's pretty solid now - 30 mpg+ and 70 MPH+ It's my daily driver. That was lots of work and money at the time. For my bicycle, it better be simpler & less $$ ;-)

Anyone else with thoughts on folding bikes or how it would work out with 16" wheels, please chime in..

Mark
Old 11-25-2016, 12:09 PM

Bianchi used their Aquilotto engine on a folder. I don't know what size the wheels are.

There was a front wheel drive Zanetti, perhaps a Velosolex could be found for the front wheel?

Last edited by Ludwig II; 11-25-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:26 PM

Velosolex 5000

Old 11-26-2016, 05:07 PM

This is what I run and carry around inside my Dodge Caravan:
Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 PM

There's these. Ask around the forum for quality of both the engine and also the supplier. I know nothing apart from they're small and available.

http://bikebug.net/bikebug-products/
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 PM

I like that electric does not spill or leak smelly fuel and it will charge as I drive. This little folder is remarkably stable and has about 10 miles range, 15mph speed. It is a Schwinn Izip 1020. I also have a full sized 7sp Schwinn Izip (made by Currie) that does 20mph for about 20 miles. Both are excellent city bikes, handle hills well.