Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Mounting Techniques for Bicycle Motors

Mounting Techniques for Bicycle Motors Every frame is different. Share and ask questions about mounting your engine kit to your frame or rack

Old 06-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Gas tank mounting

I'm running into a roadblock with my first build (utilizing a China girl kit), and that is mounting the gas tank to my top tube interferes with my brake cable, as well as my front and rear derailleur cables. Anyone have any advice for mounting?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Gas tank mounting

If the cable housing is split and runs through braze-ons on the frame, you could always go with one piece housing and bind it with plastic ties.

Only other advice is don't OVER TIGHTEN the bolts- a common mistake that cracks the tank at the bolts.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Thank you for the advice!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

A little trick that I do is to run the bare cables through some 10mm nuts that are two-sided taped to the frame & then mount the tank on top of the nuts so that the cables move freely under the tank.

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 06-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I would recommend that you also make the following mod on your gas tank. Scrape, sand, etc. a circle about the size of a nickel or quarter around the base of the tank studs. Also do the same with the studs about one half to three quarters inch from the tank towards the end of the studs. Take some jb weld or similar and build up a cone in this area. This will really help prevent a leak at the base of the studs.

One more thing, if you haven't already done it, rinse out your tank with your gas mix to clean out any "factory debris" that may be there. Best to do this after you've done the above mod to eliminate the chance of oil getting on the studs or the base of the studs. This will help get better adhesion for the jb weld.

Last edited by Chaz; 06-19-2016 at 02:33 PM.