Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Heads and Cylinders

Heads and Cylinders All about your porting, compression, rings, cylinder and piston modifications to your bicycles engine

Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Do aftermarket cylinder jugs exhist?

For me I really want the reliability of say a nickle plated sleeve or something harder than soft aluminum. How hard would it really be to go back to the drawing board and tweak a couple things to create a better product. More cooling, more air flow, and a sleevable insert. Most miles I ever pulled on a cylinder was around 2000 miles. It was a good run but not much for what it should do.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

at the factory, it probably wouldn't cost much more to shove a steel sleeve in, but shipping that extra weight might cost quite a bit
Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike91 View Post
For me I really want the reliability of say a nickle plated sleeve or something harder than soft aluminum. How hard would it really be to go back to the drawing board and tweak a couple things to create a better product. More cooling, more air flow, and a sleevable insert. Most miles I ever pulled on a cylinder was around 2000 miles. It was a good run but not much for what it should do.
Yikes I'm at 2700+ and I hear 3000 is fairly standard. Yet when you do the math, a full motor replacement every 3000 miles is still cheaper than a car... I've still got excellent compression, my current issue is a lack of spark, but that's no biggie.

Once again, anything to increase mileage per motor is an awesome idea in my book. At 100+mpg, you should at least get 100 gallons of fuel through it before it dies, not 30.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:17 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

From 2009 to 2011 when I had a bunch of these I ride the snot out of them. This go around I plan to be very gentle and ride them with a lot less punishment and abuse involved. I plan to get a jack shaft kit and cruise hopefully between 5000-7000 rpm at 60 mph depending on power and mods. I wanna test the difference from our of the box stock, to fully modded out power punch engine. I'll talk to my local machine shop about possible sleeve ideas too. Maybe we can stumble apon something amazing.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:23 AM

From all my research into two stroke cylinder design, a steel sleeve is strictly for engine longevity. In this case the ability to re-bore and hone the steel sleeve, as well as the ability to use chrome plated rings extends the the useful life of the cylinder.

For maximum power output (obviously not what it seems the OP searching for) a steel sleeve will always be at a disadvantage to a plated aluminum cylinder. This is because of the poor thermal conductivity of steel (relative to aluminum) compounded by the fact that even the masters of Japanese 2 stroke manufacture could not create an efficient thermal bond between the steel sleeve and the aluminum cylinder that does the cooling in an air cooled engine.

One effective solution for this is water cooling, obviously.

So I would venture to guess top end longevity would be significantly improved with a water cooled, steel sleeved cylinder.

Of course you would then need chrome plated rings that fit our piston. And if you plan on over-boring that sleeve you are going to need to source a similarly larger diameter piston somehow (not impossible, just has to be done).

Ohh yea, and the whole water cooling system...

Water Cooled Steel Sleeve Cylinder Kit (puch/gilardoni/hi hi?)
Water Pump (engine has to turn this, robbing HP, and you need to design a method of attaching it to the engine so it can then be driven with a chain, or gears, or a belt)
Radiator (again need to design a method of attaching to the frame, and routing the lines, plus: water is heavy)

There is another way.....

Nikasil plating instead of the BS China single step chrome plating. Heck even a legitimate high nickel content chrome plating would be worlds better than what these cylinders come with from the factory.

Now both roads have their expense, but I would recommend accurately removing the existing BS chrome on a stock cylinder, and then have it re-plated with high quality chrome -or nikasil- thick enough to create a nice tolerance gap for the piston you intend to use. If you use chrome plating, then you should use the stock cast iron rings, witch you will have to replace much less frequently with a harder cylinder bore (the cylinder won't wear nearly as fast, so for the same amount of ring wear, the cylinder the the harder bore will still have a tighter ring end-gap, and thus will retain higher compression, longer).

If you go the Nikasil route, you could use chrome plated rings if you wanted to (and could find them for the piston you intend to use) and get even longer life out of the top end.

Now I haven't found anyone to do this for our cylinders yet, but I plan on looking. And I wouldn't be upset if someone else found a place to do it and you know, like....

...posted it here.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:19 AM

I wonder if electro plating could work for that, Exo? Of course, it would cover the exterior of the cylinder as well. Perhaps the cylinder itself could be used as the fluid vessel, with the electroplating system grounded out to it? Electroplating can be very uniform, and a cylinder hone could always be run through it. Possibly, it could be done at home, providing you could source the proper materials...
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

http://www.finishing.com/2800-2999/2858.shtml

http://www.usnicom.com/

http://www.maxrpms.com/free-cylinder...inder-plating/
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 AM

Dude, you are awesome!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 AM

I'm going to be contacting max RPM's about doing our chinadoll cylinders, and potentially the pistons too.

Will post back when I get a response.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 PM

Another random thought... An EFI kit of some form would be cool... I've seen a few chainsaws with it set up... Just a thought.