Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Heads and Cylinders

Heads and Cylinders All about your porting, compression, rings, cylinder and piston modifications to your bicycles engine

Old 04-28-2016, 05:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Do aftermarket cylinder jugs exhist?

Haven't been on this site since maybe 2011?.... Caught the bug again.... Last time I was a young guy nearly able to afford gas and depended on these things, now I just want to experiment and sink around with them. My ebay shopping list is packed full of parts. I see a lot of new parts out since 2011.... But I still don't see any new style of cylinders. You would think by now they would have came up with a new casting or a billet jug or something. Anyone got any info? I'm planning on buying a deal load of parts and a engine. Won't be buying a kit, most the stock parts don't interest me at all. Thinking 28 tooth sprocket. All performance to back it up. My record speed way back when was 62 mph on a chinamotor. Didn't last long.... Lol
Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Do aftermarket cylinder jugs exhist?

Um... I think I saw a billet jug somewhere... Can't remember where. I have seen "port corrected" and "reed valve specific" cylinders here and there too, again not sure where, and not sure I'd trust em any who.

If you're just dinking around, maybe you could take a fairly well built engine to a machine shop, have them reproduce it with higher quality material. They could also tighten tolerances, and address any of the known pre existing issues with the China Girl. It would be pricey, but it's a venture I believe worth undertaking, and intend to do myself someday.

Imagine, a full mill, billet cut China Girl, with a chrome-molly cylinder sleeve, piston, rod and crank... That might be a bit overboard, but I think you get the point.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:26 PM

They was one guy who was selling cylinder jugs for $250 a pop that had a cast iron lining in it it instead of the flimsy coating. I guess the problem is beating the price of a regular one at $20 when you can get what you need out of it. Unless they came with like bore kits w/ piston for more displacement I can't see much of a market.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:33 AM

Shine it up, slap made in the USA stickers all over it, and enough idiots will buy it to make you rich, proven fact. In the same breath, a two stroke China Girl like I described would last the average rider a lifetime... Something to think about there.

We look at something and think "cost prohibitive"
Some look and say, "awesomeness, I have to have it" thus, supply and demand. The request for a better China girl has been made for as long as the engines themselves. Fill that demand and you will have something, just look at everyone who ever owned a morini or whizzer, they're iconic.

Lets face it, ebikes will never put the world on two wheels, I wouldn't even say it's increased that number as it is. Most enviroMENTALists, were already pedaling when e bikes became the fad. But in it's own right, the whizzer did set the world on fire, as did morini and the "Hobby Time Revolution"

These are niche markets, there are niches within the niches, you could find one easily enough, or dig one out for yourself.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:31 AM

Its really the programing the CNC and testing etc. where most of the cost would be. Production would be pretty easy once past all the programing. I do wonder why Fred's Heads hasn't made a jug to go along with his other nice products. Surely a long lasting cylinder sleeve can be manufactured also. Id be the first customer if the cost was in the 100.00 range. Does anyone fully understand the mfg process to make the cylinder sleeve?
I agree E bikes that run on batteries have there own advantages but a huge set of disadvantages, fires, cost, weight, range, long charging times, etc. Id like to own one don't get me wrong, but the cost seems too high yet for me. Glad to see more development in E powered cars and bikes but I like gas combustion and always will, and I would love to see some modern mass produced improvements to the plain old simple bump start China girl made using less crude sand casting and more CNC machining. All the while using the basic simple concept of the HT as it has so much going for it. ITS THE SIMPLICITY OF IT.
The new Zeda electric start engine looks better quality on the outside but is lost in my book with the electric start, need for a big battery, more wiring, etc. So who knows until a year of testing from members here if its more reliable? http://jlzeda.com/view.php?id=365
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New china girl motor.jpg (82.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by ZipTie; 04-29-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:01 PM

I feel the same way about the Zeda, big drawbacks and few real improvements. From the pics in the other post, it looks like it could be case inducted. But one piece cylinder manufacturing is pretty easy to screw up. Three possible starting methods is too much, like you said, zip tie, simplicity. I wouldn't mind a pull start on my bike, I just don't have the cash for a wide crank conversion, but, if the motor poops out, I don't want to pedal the extra weight of starter and battery, and blah blah blah, I curse the 25lbs China Girl enough.

Integrate the pull start, but otherwise cut me a China Girl out of high quality materials. Like you've pointed out, once the program is written, you can start to recoup cost, and you will, quickly. I'd buy a China Girl with a mileage warranty, even as much as say 5-10 cents a mile. If you can GUARANTEE me 5,000 miles with no power loss or part failure, I can guarantee I'll be emptying my pockets for it.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:02 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORIZED-BI...MAAOSwKtVWv6Lg
Old 04-30-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogollonmonster View Post
I feel the same way about the Zeda, big drawbacks and few real improvements. From the pics in the other post, it looks like it could be case inducted. But one piece cylinder manufacturing is pretty easy to screw up. Three possible starting methods is too much, like you said, zip tie, simplicity. I wouldn't mind a pull start on my bike, I just don't have the cash for a wide crank conversion, but, if the motor poops out, I don't want to pedal the extra weight of starter and battery, and blah blah blah, I curse the 25lbs China Girl enough.

Integrate the pull start, but otherwise cut me a China Girl out of high quality materials. Like you've pointed out, once the program is written, you can start to recoup cost, and you will, quickly. I'd buy a China Girl with a mileage warranty, even as much as say 5-10 cents a mile. If you can GUARANTEE me 5,000 miles with no power loss or part failure, I can guarantee I'll be emptying my pockets for it.
Hey, We need someone to invent a new motor with 4 ways to start it as 3 ways just isn't enough. Push, pull, electric and the yet untested ...drop start method / LOL
Oh, why not add kick start and spring wind start as a back up, put these starters on the rear side.... 6 ways to start a HT is better than 3... Ok I am for sure going to bed now.

Last edited by ZipTie; 04-30-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 PM

knowing about chinese factory work, I'd like to see a bunch o' these Zedas to compare transfer port machining over a full run on their tool set (seems they often run a tool to failure before changing it out)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
knowing about chinese factory work, I'd like to see a bunch o' these Zedas to compare transfer port machining over a full run on their tool set (seems they often run a tool to failure before changing it out)
Ditto, quality control sucks, will the zeda be any better? It certainly has the potential to be an expensive boat anchor...

If they did nine ways to start a HT, seven would fail in the first week, and you'd be so tired of pedaling, you'd just walk. I'm perfectly content with pedaling to start, but a pull start would facilitate my laziness...

I just want somebody with manufacturing capabilities to take the China Girl as seriously as, say, STHIL takes chainsaws...