Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes

Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Motorize a full suspension mountain bike to get a smother ride or for a little more speed try motorized road bicycles. This section is for sharing ideas on motorizing your mountain and road bikes.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default First Motorized Bike, what would you do?

Greetings from frozen Ohio! I have a nishiki pueblo motorized bicycle that I want to motor. Problem is my wheels only have 32 spokes and if I did a mid engine build I definitely want a hub adapter so I guess an in frame build is out.
I like what I have read about the staton fd kits. Was thinking of getting the one with the zenoah engine. My other consideration would be a basic staton install kit and maybe a huasheng 49cc from bicycle-engines.com. I am 180 lbs, roads around here are 50\50 flat and rolling hills. Was hoping you guys could offer opinions or advice.
Thanks!
Kevin
Old 02-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: First Motorized Bike, what would you do?

I don't know why the second sentence says motorized already.. It won't let me edit..
Old 02-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Friction drive is good, but keep in mind that when the tire gets wet, it's effectively useless. I did a few diy friction drive bikes a few years ago, so that's always something you could give a shot if you think your fabrication skills are up for it.

Just FYI, I am also 180 lbs, I have a Skyhawk frame with a 48cc 2 stroke. The whole bike probably weighs 35-40 lbs (with a full tank and batteries) and getting up hill is no problem.

And those Staten kits look legit! I built a chainsaw engine bike and made something very similar to that. I mounted the engine on top of the channel iron and ran a chain off the clutch to a roller. It was compact and more balanced in my opinion. Unfortunately I could never get it running right and scrapped it. I may try again one day.

And I'm glad you didn't speak about the bumblebee bolt on kit. Awful!

Last edited by Agreen; 02-18-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks Agreen, this will be just something to cruise on nice summer days. I don't plan on riding in rain but if I get caught in not a big deal. Just sounds like a lot of fun. I am a mechanical designer by tade and could do a diy but would prefer to get a tried n true kit. I also want to get a cheez fickenworth kit and a new cruiser but wanted to motor the bike in my garage first.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM

The 4 strokes will definitely have more torque for your hilly areas, so no worries there. And the PK80 kits from cheez are good stuff. You just won't get the torque (or reliability, in my opinion) as you will from a 4 stroke kit.

I completely understand wanting something as a kit. They just work. Every time I try putting something together I end up over thinking it and it gets too complex and something doesn't work as expected.

Cruising around when the weather is nice is the best part about owning a motorized bike. You don't have to go full throttle to enjoy the ride. Matter of fact, I think it's more fun to putt around at normal bicycle speed.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

So for a fd setup, would you go for the huasheng 4 stroke or the zenoah 2 cycle? The huasheng though Chinese seem good, I haven't seen many bad posts about them. Guess it's a Honda 50cc clone. Yet zenoah is Japan quality which are usually bullet proof. I'm not looking to fly down the road but good cruising power would be a definite bonus
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 PM

I'd go for the Huasheng 4 stroke. I've never heard of the zenoah, but I'm not saying it's not good.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

OK cool, thanks for the replies!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:08 PM

Looking at the staton kit, it seems like it's a knurled roller. That'll probably work better if you go through a puddle. I had a smooth roller on all mine. It did nothing but slip when I rolled through water.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Now I want to build one...