Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes

Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Motorize a full suspension mountain bike to get a smother ride or for a little more speed try motorized road bicycles. This section is for sharing ideas on motorizing your mountain and road bikes.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:27 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Mongoose Terrex Mountain bike-27.5" tire size

I came across an online Walmart bike, the Mongoose Terrex Mountain bike with 27.5 inch tires, with 2.8" width, of which includes disc brakes and front suspension.
This bike is hailed as giving superior traction, due to the wider tire size, even in the snow, and hence would probably make for a great bike motor install, with superior traction for off-road motorbiking, and year-round, snow riding.
Though there is no info available online about the bike, including its available frame size(s).
I haven't been able to find it in stores, and perhaps it is an online Walmart purchase only.
Obviously I need to find out the available frame size(s) before ordering the bike, for my new motor install.
From past experience, I know I can't fit a bike motor into anything less than an 18.5" frame, and that's cutting it almost too close. A 19" frame is probably the real cutoff point for a bike motor install.
With these new "Unisex" bike frame sizes, bike frames are getting smaller and smaller, to accomodate either a man or a woman, hence the term-"Unisex" and generally some bikes only come in one size, the 18" (Medium) frame size, like the Mongoose Seeker, which would be too small to accomodate a bike motor install.
These newer Unisex frames are easily identifiable by the longer seat posts, of which are needed to accomodate a man on a women's size frame, otherwise his feet would be too close to the pedals for the smaller, Unisex frame size(s).
Is anyone familiar with this Terrex model bike, and what frame sizes in comes in?
Even the manufacturer doesn't specify.
The frame size can be found by measuring the bike frame's seat post vertical down-tube from the center of the cranklever hold-on nut, up to the top of the downtube, where the seat post fits into the frame, measured in inches
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Mongoose Terrex Mountain bike-27.5" tire size

Maybe you can try Photoshopping it to scale to see if it will work. I saw one at the store and thought it was an impressive bike, looked like an engine might fit. It looks like it would be a better all around mountain bike than a 4" 26er, more efficient to pedal. I hope the engine fits because it would be an interesting build.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

If u get a chance to revisit the store, I'd appreciate if if u picked up a tape measure from the store's tool section, and walked over to the Bike Sporting Goods section to measure the frame size, they have on display.
I'm thinking it may only come in one size.
Do u remember it if had a long seat tube, which would probably indicate it was a Unisex (inherently smaller) frame size.
What store did u see it in, by the way? Perhaps that store chain exists here.
Are you in North Bay apartments in Lynn, MA or North Bay, Ontario?
I got impatient a bought a California bike for my current install, which should arrive Friday.-Heat treated aluminum frame, disc brakes, front shocks, reinforced rear frame for jump landing. It's a really well made bike, as they take their Mountain biking building much more seriously on the West Coast in California, than over here on the East Coast in Massachusetts.
It's called a GT Avalanche 2.0 with over 4" of fork travel, the triple triangle frame adds frame support to the rear w/o affecting motor install, MSRP-$900
Though I still want to find out if the Mongoose Terrex comes in a big enough frame size, and build that soon, too. It would be a shame if it doesn't.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Just came across the Mongoose Terrex at the local Walmart today. I can easily envision it as my next motorized bicycle build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfa9nWA02K0

_

Last edited by ezrider; 08-11-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:41 PM

requires a jack shaft.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Warning: Installation is not for the faint of heart. This kit will allow your bike and bike engine kit to do dangerously high speeds! Install at your own risk.

Recommended for advanced users. Kit does not come with instructions.
Lovely
Old 08-13-2016, 06:05 PM

I found a video of a guy doing a friction setup check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7m1DPE3j3I
Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 AM

A lot less hassle with a friction drive. Just make sure it don't rain the day you ride.

_