Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > 4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits

4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits 4 stroke engine kits are great if you want reliability or do not want to mix your oil and gas. Learn from each other how to get the most out of your 4 stroke bicycle engine

Old 02-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 4G T drive bearing conversion

Yep if you think about it you will shy away...great job going for it. Slow and steady.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:09 PM

I tried all these things back when this topic was started.
The bottom line is trying to mount the bell on the same spinning shaft as the clutch is and always will be a poor design so I quit using it.

All I use are engines with a short shaft with the clutch attached, and a transfer case that isolates the bell on it's own bearing shaft to drive the reduction system.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Cool Re: 4G T drive bearing conversion

Some people don't have the money to do your expensive alternative.

Being on a fixed income and having to save month after month for the large purchases, it is quite refreshing to find a fix that is inexpensive and quite affordable.

My littlebike has over 1500 trouble free miles on it. I am glad I did the conversion.

I also did all of the safety mods, my fenders will not fall off, and my bike has all the bells and whistles, from 3 sets of brakes to the 12ga spokes, and a horn loud enough to be heard. Granted, most of this stuff was nickel and dime, but that was the only way that Social Security would allow, so till next month when my check comes in, I'm set.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollerguy View Post

Being on a fixed income and having to save month after month for the large purchases, it is quite refreshing to find a fix that is inexpensive and quite affordable.

My littlebike has over 1500 trouble free miles on it. I am glad I did the conversion.

I also did all of the safety mods, my fenders will not fall off, and my bike has all the bells and whistles, from 3 sets of brakes to the 12ga spokes, and a horn loud enough to be heard. Granted, most of this stuff was nickel and dime, but that was the only way that Social Security would allow, so till next month when my check comes in, I'm set.
Yep conversion is a great mod...and after you've completed it it's a good feeling. Any time you can do mods like your safety mods it's a great feeling and way better than bolting on something.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Expensive is a relative term, compared to say a Q-matic for example a 4G is ~$100 less and a better design.

It is also relative to how you value quality.
Everyone wants quality, but to make something right costs more.

That's where outfits like gasbike come in.
They cut every corner on the quality of the parts to sell more.

Of course money is ALWAYS an issue for most, even more so here where it is factor #1 for many.

My point is, there are all kinds of things in the motorized bicycle world out there with no quality at all and fail so in short no good at all, a waste of money.

If your bike is a hobby no problem, something to fix.
But if you have to rely on it for everything you just don't want to use 'cut corners' parts.

Any 'savings' in initial price evaporate in a hurry when you not only need to repair/replace something, but how much it screwed you when you really needed it.

Being retired I have no idea where you fall in there scrollerguy, but I do know how important RELIABILITY it is to many and there are options out out there for everything that will do the job.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Question Re: 4G T drive bearing conversion

Cobrafreak are you still on this forum? I have PM'D you and no response.

Thanks in advnce.

Scrollerguy
Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cobrafreak are you still on this forum? I have PM'D you and no response.

Thanks in advnce.

Scrollerguy
He's profile says he has not logged in since June of 2014
Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I just did the upgrade. Was a little concerned that I might wreck my shaft, but once I got close I went very slow and measured with my calipers to make sure it was even. I used a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel on it, using the flat side of the disk. When I was close used a fine file and Emery cloth to finish up. I have not installed my engine yet but just on the bench you can tell how much better this will be, spins nice and smooth with no effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01486.JPG (133.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01487.JPG (187.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01488.JPG (141.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01489.JPG (139.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01490.JPG (183.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malatious View Post
I just did the upgrade. Was a little concerned that I might wreck my shaft, but once I got close I went very slow and measured with my calipers to make sure it was even. I used a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel on it, using the flat side of the disk. When I was close used a fine file and Emery cloth to finish up. I have not installed my engine yet but just on the bench you can tell how much better this will be, spins nice and smooth with no effort.
Yep, I tried this 'fix' for the clutch bell on a long shaft engine a few years back.

To me it was just a colossal waste of time and money for failed design to start with and since only use HS 142F-1G clutch attached engines and isolated clutch bells in the transfer case like the 4G.

This is of no help to Honda engine owners, they all come that way, but maybe for a new engine buyer.

Tags
4g bearing conversion, 4g bearing mod